Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Potentiometers, ADC, and chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
To make a short story shorter. I have a potentiometer hooked connected from 5V to ground with the wiper connected to an ADC pin on an Arduino. I am getting some chatter in the readings which I would like to smooth. Am I best off averaging X readings from the ADC or could I place a cap to ground on the wiper to steady the input voltage?

You could try a 10nF or 22nF.
Its possible your pot is noisy.
What is the value of the pot.?

Could you try a different one of the same value?

I think it is 10K now because that is what I had on hand. The final plan was to use 50K to minimize power consumption.

The recommended maximum source impedance for a PIC's ADC is between 5k and 10k, depending upon PIC type

What is the signal you are planning to digitise.?

The filter cap is the easiest thing to try quickly, but the filter corner frequency (and hence the filter's effectiveness) will change with the pot rotation. A software LPF will give more consistent performance, after you work out the program and verify that it works.

ak

The signal is just the input from the wiper from a potentiometer hooked from 5V to ground. It's purpose is to act as a (cheap) retentive setpoint input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back