Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wastedfun

So my little project will be using LED's. I want to power about 6 LED's with a power pack.

this is the LED's I just ordered,

Source Material:InGaN !
Emitting Colour:5MM WHITE LED
LENS Type:Water clear
Color Temperature: --
Luminous Intensity-MCD: Typ: 35,000 mcd
Reverse Voltage:5.0 V
DC Forward Voltage: Typical:
DC Forward Current:20mA
Viewing Angle:25 degree
Lead Soldering Temp:260°C for 5 seconds

This is the battery I am thinking about getting:
Battery Specs:

6 Volt Rechargeable
4.5 Amp Hours
W-2.76" X D-1.89" X H- 4.25" -4" high not including the tabs
Weight- 1.85 lbs
Terminals - faston tab type
Interstate Model # SLA 0905

Will I be able to make this battery work reliably with the 6 LED's?

Thx
WF

Will I be able to make this battery work reliably with the 6 LED's?

What are you asking? Series? Parallel?

We need to know the min/max forward drop of the LEDs?

35,000mcd at only 20mA means the LEDs are focussed into a very narrow angle.
Sparkfun sells a very bright white LED that produces only 9,000mcd at 20mA with an angle of only 10 degrees.

What are you asking? Series? Parallel?

We need to know the min/max forward drop of the LEDs?

I can run them how ever works best or is compatible. I think though, I would prefer Parallel.

Here is the page about them:
**broken link removed**

35,000mcd at only 20mA means the LEDs are focussed into a very narrow angle.
Sparkfun sells a very bright white LED that produces only 9,000mcd at 20mA with an angle of only 10 degrees.
I might be more interested in these, mainly because I'm going for flood lighting for a room and not focused lighting. Maybe I will browse some of their LED's before I go too far...TY!

On second thought, I think I am going to use the first LED's I posted just to get the project going. they have a 25 degree angle and I can work with that.

Since their max forward voltage is 3.6V, you can't run two in series from a battery that is only 5.9V as it discharges. You must run them in parallel, each with its own current-limiting resistor. The ones you linked are not suitable for flood illumination, because they only have a 25degree beamwidth.

Okay, so i need to find wide angle, lower intense leds.

When i do i will post the layout I'm using and see what i can do. Ty

A moment ago the same LED was 3W but now it is only 1W. Why? Did the 3W LEDs melt?

An ordinary white LED has a current of 20mA and a voltage of 3.5V. Then its heating is 0.07W. It might get slightly warm.
The 3W LED has a current of 700mA and a voltage of 3.5V so its heating is 2.45W (35 times more heat!). There is no detailed datasheet to tell you about the specs for a heatsink nor how to fasten it to a heatsink.
If you reduce the current then it will be cooler but the color might change (again there is no detailed datasheet).

The 3W LED is made by an unknown manufacturer and might fail soon. I always buy name-brand parts that seem to last forever.

Its the same seller but diff LED. I know its a cheap off brand but im working on a prototype that wont really need to run for long hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back