Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GForce2010

Hey folks.

I'm working on a project for my car so i'm after 12V. My problem is when the car is running the voltage goes up to 14V. It's an LED strip so might be able to handle the 14V (waiting to recieve data sheet).

what i wanted to know is if there was some type of voltage regulator which will give me 12V regardless of weather the car is running or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

you can use voltage regulators like the common LM7812 but input voltage must not be lower than 13.2 volts (output plus dropout), if you want it to work 12 volts and below use resistor zener diode combination, take note of power handling considerations

If you only need to drop voltages over 12 a zener diode and a resistor would work fine. Wait till you get your data sheet before you do anything as there may be current limit resistors built into it which would allow for 14 volts. LED's don't work nativly on 14 volts so it's likley a series/parallel array of LED's, these really should come with current resistors built in, but no guarantee's. Even if it allows for the highest static voltage you'll want to use something to prevent spikes which can occur during solenoid switching which can be WAY above 14 volts (100+) for brief periods. Even for brief periods this will fry an LED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back