Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Module with AC & DC Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pramod P

Hi,

I have a 50W power module which works in DC 110 V but the customer wants it to work in both AC and DC input, can someone suggest me a simple circuit for this application.

1. Same or different pins for power? i.e. a DC input and an AC input
2. What AC input? 100, 120, 220, 240, 277 etc. (85-285 VAC)?

Does your DC thingy have a range of operation?

Right now I'm being devil's advocate.

1. same for both AC and DC voltage
2. AC input: 110V , DC input: 110V

once I get information about range, I will share.

The reason we are asking some some of the questions is:
110dc is clear.
110ac when rectified and filtered makes 150 dc.
So it is important for the input range to extend from 110 to 150. Other wise we need to find a way to reduce the 150 down to 110.

guys, there is a 50W power module which works at 110VDC, but the customer also wants it to be used for 110VAC in emergency purpose,
so I want you guys to suggest any simple electronic circuit which need to be attached with the existing power module.

Yes,
We want to know more about the module. Because if it will work at 150VDC then almost nothing has to be done.
If you really must have exactly 110VDC form 110VAC then this is a project. (simple in my books) But a project.
See post #5.

hi Ronsimpson,

I can understand the ratio clearly,
but i don't know the input range

I would like to disclose the end application : its Railway Application

there we can get either 110VDC or in emergency conditions we may get 110VAC.
so i have to suggest the same input range to customer.

Does the power module already include a bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitor (or at least a series diode to protect against supply reversal)?
What is the output voltage of the module?

**broken link removed** seem to be the kind of thing you're describing. There is a "cross-diode" (bridge, for input-protection, but I don't think you can use it: you need an external rectifier.
It asks that the input voltage not fall below 43.2 V (for the unit that will accept up to 154 V input.) That means an input capacitor sized to keep the voltage up at maximum current draw.
Time to do some engineering!

as mentioned it is a 50W (5V / 10A) output power module, i guess there is nothing to do with output values,
and as Mr. Wade Hassler is suggesting we may need a external diode rectifier to do the job,

any suggestion on this.

as mentioned it is a 50W (5V / 10A) output power module
You did not mention the output voltage before this.
I assume the 5 volt output is DC, is it?
Now we know its a DC to DC converter module. Not just an "output power module"
As mentioned if you rectify 110 volts AC you get about 150 volts DC.
Will the DC to DC converter module take input voltages up to 150 volts DC?
If you can tell us what module it is we can tell you.
If it can take inputs up to 150 volts DC then just add a full wave rectifier and a filter cap in series with the input.
If it can't take 150 volts DC at its input then it becomes more complicated.
You need to answer our questions for us to help you.

yes sorry for not mentioning the Output range before.

And the Power Module Input range is 66 - 160 Vdc
so i guess your suggestion may work well

hey guys,

What about the DC input 110V , what happens if we give that to the bridge circuit connected to the module.
then can the power module works on both 110VDC and 110VAC

suggestion please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back