Power plug pinout for Hitachi IA-51 1969 Solid State Television

mdanh2002

Hi,

I have a Hitachi IA-51 Solid State Television (first manufactured in 1969, from my research). The TV was tested and worked fine on 12V last year however the power plug has recently been lost. The unit accepts either AC 220V/50Hz or 12V DC and has a weird 6-pin power socket (see attached photos, highlighted in red) at the back. There are no markings on the socket to indicate the pinout and despite extensive research I only found 2 brief articles on this unit https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hitachi_ia_51.html and http://obsoletetellyemuseum.blogspot.com/2022/03/hitachi-ia-51-year-1969.html - none of them has the pinout for the power socket.

Assuming pin 1 is top left and pin 6 is bottom right (pin numbering also shown in photos), without opening up the unit, I measure resistance across the pins with the following results:
  • 95 Ohm between pins 1 and 5, either direction
  • 102 Ohm between pins 5 and 6, either direction
  • Pins 1 and 6 are connected together
  • Anything between 200kOhm to 3MOhm, slowly decreasing, between pins 2/3, 3/4 and 2/4, depending on probe polarity, suggesting presence of other components such as diodes or capacitors
  • The four screws on the case are connected together, maybe to PCB ground. I measured a resistance of 350KOhm from the screws to pin 4.
  • The rest of the pin pairs not mentioned are not connected
None of the pins are connected to other external metal parts such as antenna or knobs.

Does anyone have the manual for this unit, or at least a document telling me the pinout of the socket? Or is there a way to tell which pin is for 12V and which pin is for 220V input? I can open up the set and find out for sure, but it will be great if anyone here knows the pinout.

Thanks a lot in advance for any info.

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpg
    784.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0176.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    848.2 KB · Views: 13
The radio museum link clearly shows a circuit diagram, however you have to register (for free) and ask them to send you a link to get an email back to download it.

The first page thumbnail seems to show the pin connections for the socket, and getting the download should make it obvious.

Thanks for the fast response,
Strangely nothing happened when I clicked on the schematic thumbnail - it just reloaded the page. Let me register an account there and try again.

Last edited:
OK, here's the relevant part of the schematic.

It's pretty straightforward as per SO 901(A), mains across the top two pins (top in the diagram below) and a wire link across the bottom right two to connect the output of the bridge to ground via the fuse.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…