Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power supply:12V-2.5amps instead of 2amps(explosion?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrojuapiño

Hi everybody! I'm not an electronics/electricity expert and need your help with this thing....you see, I lost the power supply for an external harddrive and, although it might show up eventually after I tidy up my apt a bit, would like to buy one in the mean time for I need to access stuff that I have in the drive.
So to the point: the external HDD (the enclousure) shows that its 12 volts and 2 amps.....they have one here in Radio Shack but it's 12 volts and 2.5 amps. Is that a problem? Will it fry my HDD? Also, in the new one you can choose how the polarity is going to go so that's not a problem....only the slightly highr amperage.
What do you think? I reeeeeally reaaally appreciate it if anyone knows! Thanks!!!!!!!:)

Correct, the load determines the actual current drawn not the supply source, the supply source just determines what the maximum current can be, so having a high current rated supply is a good thing.

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back