Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorGnet

This may be a obvious answer but one of our current projects uses 4 relays with a 360ma rating on the coil, 2-4 20ma LEDs, a PIC, a MAX232, and some other minor components. Should I provide a power supply for the total current needs or could I get away with less? My main concern is the relays. I would like to make sure they can all be on at the same time if needed.

This may be a obvious answer but one of our current projects uses 4 relays with a 360ma rating on the coil, 2-4 20ma LEDs, a PIC, a MAX232, and some other minor components. Should I provide a power supply for the total current needs or could I get away with less? My main concern is the relays. I would like to make sure they can all be on at the same time if needed.

hi gator,
If all the 360mA relays are on at the same time, thats 4 * 0.36A =1.44A.

Say 4 LED's at 20mA thats only 80mA, plus the PIC say 100mA max!

Gives a total of 1.62A.

The relays seem to be very high current coils at 360mA each. ???
What is their voltage rating.?

I think you are looking at the relay coil power which is 360 mW. The coil currents are much, much less.

5 Volt Coil = 72 mA
6 Volt Coil = 60 mA
9 Volt Coil = 40 mA
12 Volt Coil = 30 mA

See the coil section of your link for the coil currents in that relay family.

Ron

I guess I didn't read enough into it. Thanks for the help! Also, am I reading it right that even though it states 6v for the coil, it would pickup at only 4.2v?

Last edited:
Yes, but remember the Pick Up and Drop Out voltages are approximations and shouldn't really be counted on. Meaning if you have a 6 volt relay coil it "should" pull in at 4.2 and should drop out at .6 volts but don't design or build around those numbers.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back