Power supply question...U.S to U.K

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephanovich

Hi...I`m new to the forum and just starting to take my first steps into the very confusing world of electronics (geeeez,why didn`t I listen more to my Dad ?)...I`ve begun by buying simple kits from Maplin.

I just bought a 940nm led illuminator for my cctv cams from the U.S...without thinking of the voltage difference here in the U.K.

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me how I can go about making this work safely when I get it ? I`ve thought about buying a step down transformer/converter (less than £10) or can I just use a travel adaptor/converter ?...or,do I need to do something more complicated ?

Thanks.

Hi stephanovich,

US mains power is 110/115V at 60Hz
UK mains power is 220/230V at 50Hz.

I suggest to replace the PS input transformer rated for the same output voltage and current as the purchased one.

Boncuk

Thanks for the reply Boncuk...but I`m unsure as to what exactly is meant...do you mean to say open up the input of the supply lead and replace it with something of U.K equivalent value ? ...I really am a novice of electronics terms and suchlike

First look at the label on the power supply that came with the illuminator. If it says something like '100 - 240VAC, 5-/60Hz' then it is a universal input switching supply, and can handle the voltage as is. The most you would need to get an adapter for the wall plug.

If it says something else, let us know what it does say, so we know how best to help.

Thanks very much ChrisP58.....

I`m not expecting the illuminator to arrive for another week but thought I`d best be prepared...time for some more reading

Some education here. P = V*I or power = voltage * current

Pp=Ps or power primary = power secondary
or
VpIp = VsIs

Generally 50 Hz transformers will work on 60 Hz, but may not be true the other way around. So you need a transformer rated for 50/60 Hz or at least 50. They will get hot if a 60Hz transformer is operated at 50 Hz.

I'd be surprised if the illuminator takes 120 VAC directly without some sort of power pak.

However, there could be a gotcha where the power pak is actually a constant current supply designed to drive LED's. You could end up with a universal supply. You could end up with a transformer supply. There are so many possibilities. There is a good chance the illuminator is 12 VDC.

A transformer VA or power would have to be equal to or greater than the power required if you were to transform 240 to 120. Switching power supplies SOMETIMES don't like frequency changes.

Hi Guys...thanks for all the replies...I have to say that some of what is said is beyond my limited electrical knowledge,simple though it may be...probably it`s unfamiliarity of terminology etc...

I may be in luck however...the adaptor that comes along with said illuminator is rated thus :-

AC to DC adaptor with rated output of 12v DC at 2A of current, designed to run on 120 - 240v AC / 50-60 Hz

So...if I`m correct,I should be able to use this as advised by you guys,with just a wall adaptor

The adapter will work out of the box. If the power cord is detachable, then you just have to replace the cord. If it's not detachable, then find a plug adapter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…