Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

An appliance rated is rated for 120v,60hz; which i want to work in 220v,50hz power supply...
What should i use to vary the frequency of these kings, suppose i require a frequency of 10hz/100hz?
I guess i have to use a step down transformer to reduce it to 110v.

If it is a simple appliance then a step down transformer will work to convert the 220 VAC 50 Hz to 120 VAC 50 Hz. Most appliances won't have a problem with the 50 Hz. I lived in Italy for about 3 years and had a US made fridge. Even though the compressor was designed for 60 Hz it ran fine on the 50 Hz. power.

What should i use to vary the frequency of these kings, suppose i require a frequency of 10hz/100hz?

Now if you want to start varying the frequency that much, then it gets more complex and expensive depending on the load current and other factors.

Ron

If an appliance is a resistive load, such as a toaster, than simply reducing the 220V, 50Hz to 110V with a transformer should be fine. If the appliance has a transformer or motor then there is a possibility that the magnetics will saturate at 50Hz, draw excessive current, and overheat. Perhaps many 60Hz appliances with magnetics will tolerate 50Hz, but there's no guarantee.

very few things, if anything these days, care about the frequency (50/60Hz). We have had boards all over that ran on both with jumper options and the only place we had trouble was in Australia when we were using cheaper transformers at 250V (they run high) at 50Hz. We stopped using that mfg and verify operation when we get a new supplier now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…