Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

beenuseren

Can anyone explain this?

Why does a battery requires a constant current charger? Why cant we use regular DC voltage to charge the battery?

Thanks,

Too much current can damage a battery - heating and possible bursting of the battery. How much current a battery will take or draw (however you want to look at it) depends on the voltage applied. Quite often a simple charger will have more than enough DC voltage available to maintain some selected amount of charging current - then the current is controlled or limited.

In better chargers quite a bit of current can be applied while the charger monitors voltage and battery temperature.

It depends on the battery and type of charge, a lead acid car battery is recharged from a alternator which is a constant voltage unit.

You can charge a battery just fine from a regular DC voltage. You just have to be careful not to supply the battery with too much current.

LMAO at your screen name there, poopeater ..... and to think some folks thought I was a maroon from my sig. line!! You got me and most others beat here!

I understood now. Its like if we apply constant voltage source then, the battery would draw large current due to initial low resistance, which may exceed the current rating of the battery. So it always safe to use a constant current source to charge the battery. Am I right?

hi

beenuseren said:
Can anyone explain this?

Why does a battery requires a constant current charger? Why cant we use regular DC voltage to charge the battery?

Thanks,
because they do not burn the battery in high voltages and it prevent the shock.

could u jus tell me why we use microcontroller in stepper motor at the place of 8085.rply me soon im waiting for ur ans .

Sheesh! Talk about shifting gears here! What does that last question have to do with the present topic?

vishu gupta said:
could u jus tell me why we use microcontroller in stepper motor at the place of 8085.rply me soon im waiting for ur ans .
They use both! There is no substantive difference, except possibly the number of chips required.

vishu gupta said:
because they do not burn the battery in high voltages and it prevent the shock.
Burn?? High voltages?? Shock??
What are you talking about? Is this your bad translation?

Amazing how they are allowed to play around with atomic fission, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back