Powering 5v LCD-display with 9v battery. Voltage regulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t

I've successfully connected a LCD display (**broken link removed**) to my laptop using this circuit: **broken link removed**

The LCD should be powered with 5v and I'm currently using three 1.5v batteries. Now that I'm going to put the circuit in a box, I would like to power it using a 9v battery and I'm not sure how to do that. Will this circuit, http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/psu_5v.html work with a 9v battery?

The page says
Power supply voltage: Unreglated DC 8-18V power supply
Power supply current: Needed output current + 5 mA

I'm pretty much a newbie in electronics so any help would be appreciated.

All you need is a simple 5V regulator, have a look at the hardware pages for my PIC tutorials, the processor boards include just such a regulator to feed the 5V PIC (and LCD) from a 9V battery.

Thanks for your quick reply Nigel.

I suspected that I should use a voltage regulator but I wasn't sure how to connect it.
If I understand the circuit on your hardware page, **broken link removed**, correctly, you have connected the voltage regulator in a way similar to the page that I mentioned, http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/psu_5v.html. The difference is in the values of the capacitors.

Should I connect the voltage regulator like in the picture that I've attached below?

Attachments

• voltage_reducer.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,728
t said:
Should I connect the voltage regulator like in the picture that I've attached below?

Yes, that's fine - you don't need to use C3, that was just a capacitor added close to the PIC (which is always good practice).

The values are very uncritical, I used 1uF because they are small, and I had them handy. You must use capacitors near the chip to prevent it oscillating.

Just smaller (case and output current). The 7805 in TO220 pack can handle up to 1A output current, 78 L 05 only 100mA.

Sebi said:
Just smaller (case and output current). The 7805 in TO220 pack can handle up to 1A output current, 78 L 05 only 100mA.

Most of my tutorials would be quite happy with a 78L05, in fact my 16F877 board uses one - the others used a 7805 'just in case', and because I happened to have them to hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…