preferred vendor for solder paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justDIY

I'm in the market for a hobby quantity of solder paste and need recommendations as to who's a good vendor for buying such things from? google gives me lots of results, but I'd like some feedback from actual users as to who's good and who to avoid.

my location is US, so anywhere in US or Canada preferably an online retailer.

it would be nice if they sold not only a jar of paste, but the large bore syringes for dispensing it as well.

whats the word folks?

Can't help you on where, but I presume you are aware that it's got a very short shelf live?.

I also have a small ques to ask.After built or soldered a circuit do you apply plastic coating for that to protect the PCB against the oxides & damaging.

It can be a vero board,home made PCB do you apply that coating?

I got some off ebay a few years back. Vendors are still there. Check: **broken link removed**

John

Gayan,

it depends on my application. if the project is going outside, I usually coat the solder side with some Rustoleum. If it is staying indoors, I don't generally bother. The atmosphere here is not very corrosive compared to places near the oceans for example - things take a long long time to tarnish in cold dry Northern air.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Can't help you on where, but I presume you are aware that it's got a very short shelf live?.

You can get them nowadays with life beyond a year.. not bad.
Also when it does expire, mixing in some flux can reconstitute the stuff quite nicely.

Gayan Soyza said:
I also have a small ques to ask.After built or soldered a circuit do you apply plastic coating for that to protect the PCB against the oxides & damaging.

It can be a vero board,home made PCB do you apply that coating?
It's called a conformal coating and is a good idea if the assembly might be exposed to moisture but it's a bad idea if you intend to rework or repair it.

For conformal coating, use the MG Chemicals #422 stuff, it is repairable. Mostly I don't even remove it to do simple soldering. It dries to a soft, flexible silicone layer. Sorta smells when you solder through it, but it is easy to scrape aside, then respray the area. I have tried the "hard" stuff, it dries like a lacquer or shellac. It generally fails badly with heat cycling, and exposure to the real world outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…