Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem in PIC16F877A

Status
Not open for further replies.

isuru66

Hi all,
Im using USB to RS232 cable to connect my programmer to Laptop. im using ic-prog software to burn the hex file into chip.

When i am using a Desktop PC and connect programmer using a serial to serial cable, it was succesfully programmed and the programmers LED was blinked.
BUT..
when program it using the Laptop, the LED was not blinked. Is there any problem???:confused:

please send me a solution....

Isuru

You don't mention what programmer you're using?, but presumably it's a JDM type?. As this doesn't actually use the 'serial port', but uses it's handshake lines in a completely non-standard way, it's VERY unlikely to work via a USB adaptor.

You need to buy (or build) a USB programmer, an ICD2 clone like the Inchworm+ would be a good choice.

Dear Goodwin,

Thank you so much for your reply. i really appreciate it.
I am using a JDM programmer. i have built that my own. Also i am using ic-prog software to program it.
when i plug my USB to RS232 cable abd installs the software, it displays a new post as COM3. Also it displays a new COM3 in hyperterminal. so it means my cable is working without any problem.

So why can't i use that COM3 to program it? is there any program to open closed ports???(like as Userport???) i am using Windows Vista....
i am doing my university's 3rd year project and i am mess up with this case.
All the problems arrived because my laptop dosent have a Serial port. thats why i took that cable....

Waiting for your favorable reply...

Isuru

Like I said, the JDM doesn't use the serial port, it simply toggles handshake lines to create an asyncronous port - the actual serial port itself isn't used. This kind of action isn't likely to work via a USB converter, and it would certainly completely destroy any timing requirements.

Get a USB ICD2 clone!.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

This is the pictures of my programmer. ow can i change this to a USB ICD2 clone?

thanx

You don't, you throw it away and start from scratch!. As you have a USB/Serial converter you could build a serial ICD2 clone, and use the converter to connect it to USB.

Here brother You make this ICD circuit **broken link removed**
It needs external power supply.

Bur for many laptops simple serial programmers works which has external power supply to make VPP = 13V.So no need ICD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back