Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem in Regulator Output

Status
Not open for further replies.

mic5

I am using a regulator(MC7805ACD2TR4) to convert 28V input into 5V output and that is given to a small circuit. When I power ON, it takes 1A maximum and returns to 300mA. But, at output circuit, i am getting only 2.2V. I have checked my entire circuit for short circuit. Still I cann't track the fault.

Any suggestion please...

Last edited:
The regulator is overheating and shutting itself down? If you are drawing 1A at 5V starting from 28V, the regulator is dissipating (28-5)*1 =23Watts, meaning it will get stinking hot. It could only work in this application if it is bolted to a HUGE heatsink, probably about 30cm X 30cm.

Some more data on your circuit would be useful.

You quote 28 volt input but fail to say off what supply, one could guess your 28 volt has a much higher ripple voltage than 28 volts then you are able to measure.
As the 7805 has a max input of 30 volts i well expect you are exceeding this with ripple voltage.

As requested prior a schematic would be useful.

help us help you.

Pete.

You are right(Regulator Overheating and shutting down). I have calculated that the circuit initially drawing more than 1A and this regulator section cannot be used. Now I have removed the regulator from the board and using 5V power supply.

Thanks to all for the valuable suggestions.

mic

After the ripple is removed use an 78S05 regulator.

The 78SXX regulators are designed for 2A current flow.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back