Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with micropro22 PIC programming software

Status
Not open for further replies.

folarinv

I just bought a PIC programmer from Quasar electronics (3150 version, USB) but the software that came with it (micropro22) does not have the provision to write a program in assembly language. It only allow me to load HEX files.

Is there something I'm missing out in the micropro22 software or do i have to learn how to program with HEX files?

folarinv said:
I just bought a PIC programmer from Quasar electronics (3150 version, USB) but the software that came with it (micropro22) does not have the provision to write a program in assembly language. It only allow me to load HEX files.

Is there something I'm missing out in the micropro22 software or do i have to learn how to program with HEX files?

That's what a programmer does! - it allows you to load pre-existing HEX files into the PIC.

To generate the HEX files you need either an assembler or a compiler, the MicroChip assembler is MPASM that comes as part of MPLAB, and is a free download. MPLAB is a complete programming environment that includes an editor and assembler, plus it drives MicroChips own programmers. So you use MPLAB/MPASM to create your HEX files, them micropro22 to transfer them to your target PIC.

Nigel Goodwin said:
folarinv said:

That's what a programmer does! - it allows you to load pre-existing HEX files into the PIC.

To generate the HEX files you need either an assembler or a compiler, the MicroChip assembler is MPASM that comes as part of MPLAB, and is a free download. MPLAB is a complete programming environment that includes an editor and assembler, plus it drives MicroChips own programmers. So you use MPLAB/MPASM to create your HEX files, them micropro22 to transfer them to your target PIC.
Thanks NIgel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back