Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with serial programmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

premkumar9

Hi,
I have been doing programming of 89C52 Microcontrollers with a serial programmer connected to the serial port of my PC. Recently I started using it with my Laptop connecting it to the USB port using a USB to serial converter. Now I get frequent error message that the program is not responding. To make it work again I have to reboot my computer. Otherwise the port where the programmer is connected will not be detected. Can anybody help me to solve this problem.

go into your power settings and tell it to never power down the serial port. If that does not help, the laptop serial port is not supplying enough power for the programmer and you can try patching in external power.

go into your power settings and tell it to never power down the serial port. If that does not help, the laptop serial port is not supplying enough power for the programmer and you can try patching in external power.

My programmer is working with external power.

check the RS232 level coming out of the laptop. The spec is +/-5V to +/-15V, though more recently it was extended to include +/-3V. If the programmer is expecting +/-5V min and only getting +/-3V from the laptop that would cause your problem as well...It has been my experience in house that laptops tend to low ball everything.

Many programmers don't work with USB / RS232 adapters as it's only an emulation and the timing may be incorrect.
Really? I did not think they could manage that on USB. While I do not know about the 89C52, I know the 89C51s are actually a standard serial interface to ISP. Are you sure you are not talking about some of the ICP or I²C stuff you are used to seeing on the PICs?

Last edited:
Since the OP hasn't specified what 89C52 serial programmer he's using it's simply a suggestion based on my experence with JDM style programmers.

check the RS232 level coming out of the laptop. The spec is +/-5V to +/-15V, though more recently it was extended to include +/-3V. If the programmer is expecting +/-5V min and only getting +/-3V from the laptop that would cause your problem as well...It has been my experience in house that laptops tend to low ball everything.

The USB port of the Laptop is connected to the serial programmer using USB to Serial converter. Then where and how to check the levels?

Hi,
I have been doing programming of 89C52 Microcontrollers with a serial programmer connected to the serial port of my PC. Recently I started using it with my Laptop connecting it to the USB port using a USB to serial converter. Now I get frequent error message that the program is not responding. To make it work again I have to reboot my computer. Otherwise the port where the programmer is connected will not be detected. Can anybody help me to solve this problem.

Did you mean 89S5x instead of 89C5x, Mr Premkumar9?

was the earlier programmer looks like ISP or parallel programmer?

i just saw the cross post
your programmer is LOGIC POWER Flash Mcu Serial Port Programmer Model: SPP 1.03
Because, 89C52 can't be programmed by ISP methods!!
why not put a schematic or make and model of your programmer.

better use 89S52 series. it would not need 12V . For changing the program bits like clock etc, you definitely need a High voltage parallel programmer.

Last edited:
Did you mean 89S5x instead of 89C5x, Mr Premkumar9?

was the earlier programmer looks like ISP or parallel programmer?

i just saw the cross post
your programmer is LOGIC POWER Flash Mcu Serial Port Programmer Model: SPP 1.03
Because, 89C52 can't be programmed by ISP methods!!
why not put a schematic or make and model of your programmer.

better use 89S52 series. it would not need 12V . For changing the program bits like clock etc, you definitely need a High voltage parallel programmer.

I think, 'serial port programmer' only means that from PC the data is sent through the serial port to the programmer unit. The unit may be converting the data suitable for 89C5x Microcontrollers. I have been using it for some time for programming these ICs. My problems started when I started to use it connecting the USB port of the laptop through USB to serial converter. In this case also it works, but sometimes hangs and I have to restart the PC again.

I think, 'serial port programmer' only means that from PC the data is sent through the serial port to the programmer unit. The unit may be converting the data suitable for 89C5x Microcontrollers. I have been using it for some time for programming these ICs. My problems started when I started to use it connecting the USB port of the laptop through USB to serial converter. In this case also it works, but sometimes hangs and I have to restart the PC again.
89C51s can be programmed through the serial port with no programmer at all, just a power supply and an RS232 translator. It is strictly a UART data interface.

89C52s are discontinued and require parallel programming, so they need a rather complicated interface and while it is possible to do it in software with a minimal amount of hardware (namely just a handful of registers), no one bothers.

Hi,

I continue to face the above problem. Is there any way to close the port with out rebooting the PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back