Problem with static in my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinpruente

about a month ago, some dumbass opened my phone box and used my phone line to call a bunch of 900 sex lines, and we eventually got the bill straghtened out, but now, i always get this light static in my line. so i did some searching, and i could build a box that shoots an extra 9 volts into the line that is supposed to remove static, but i dont want to have to change batteries all the time so it will work. and i really dont want to go through the trouble of making a power supply. so is there any kind of thing i can make that is passivethat will take the static out of my line. I have dsl, and i had all my filters replaced, and it didnt fix the problem.

If the point where the box was opened and tapped into was what is known as the "demarcation point" , where the phone line ends at a junction box before it enters your house, you may be in luck. Normally the phone company is responsible for the equipment up to this point, at no charge to you.

It sounds ( no pun intended ) like a poor connection, or wet phone lines is causing the static. If it is at or before the demarcation box, the phone company may fix this for you for free.

I would check it out and see if this is the case.

thanks, i already know about the phone company being responsible up to the junction box, and i have called them, and they seem to not want to even check it out, so i am just going to try and fix it myself. ive checked all the phone jacks and my tni box, and have found nothing.

Easiest thing to do, then is to try a phone directly at the demarc jack, with the house connection removed. If there is still noise there, then its the lines coming in, not much you can do about it. If the noise is not there, then something is wrong inside the house. Try to isolate the branch that is giving you trouble inside the house.

It doesn't take much sometimes to get static on a line, even a corroded terminal, or a faulty jack. If the outside line to the CO is wet, or faulting to earth then you will definitely get static, and the Telco should fix it.

It's often not a priority to them to fix line drops to a house, but keep calling and hopefully they will repair it. Sometimes it's a case of them knowing full well that a line or area is bad, but they also know it may be a big job and they are just putting it off.

I agree with Zevon....do what he said to determine whether the problem is in the house or on the phone co. side. If it is on their side, keep bugging them until they fix it. If you find out that the problem is inside, chances are (9 out of ten times) the problem is right at a jack. Corrosion either inside ithe wall jack or right at the modular plug will cause static on the line. I wouldn't recommend building anything in order to stop the problem, I would do everything I could to fix the problem at hand.

yeah, i got the big bell's knights to come out and look at the phone line, and guess what they found, The ring wire from the phone line going into the tni box was slightly broken and was only connected by the steel sleeving running up from the ground to the box. they are going to fix it within 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…