Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

problems with TSOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathewctom

Hi
I have lot of problems working with TSOP. I have looked at its datasheet and particularly its current and voltage ratings. I am losing a lot of them while connecting them in my circuit. Could you please tell me what is the reason for their failures. Is their any particular precaution that I should take while working with them .

The acronym TSOP stands for Thin Small Outline Package which defines the plastic package that an integrated circuit chip is mounted into. To say TSOP in your post tells us nothing about the electrical characteristics of the parts you are working with, so could you please provide part numbers or something more useful? TSOPs are often used for memory parts so perhaps this is what you are working with. Can you please let us know?

The only precaution specific to TSOP is to ensure that your soldering doesn't bridge the finely spaced leads, but they are easy to inspect with a magnifying glass or microscope, so I assume you are sure you don't have solder shorts between the leads.

I suspect he means a Vishay IR receiver though my first thought was the same as your's ron. Let's have a schematic and the actual part number (like TSOP1138?). My guess in the face of zero data is they are getting wired in backwards.

Oh, I see. My misunderstanding. If you are right Philba, then I'm puzzled why he would be losing parts as these are quite simple. I note that the data sheet warns not to hang other open collector outputs onto the output line from part to uP. I guess they use an active pullup or something internally and can't hack the current sourcing that an external load would force on it.

Maximum voltage is 6V while recommended supply is 5V. Not much margin there, I wonder if there are spikes on the DC supply that are killing the part for some reason. Such spikes are signs of poor quality DC supply, but they can be filtered or regulated out of concern.

It would be extremely helpful if a schematic diagram could be provided, and if more details of DC power supply and other external elements could be provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back