Programing a 12f683 with a AN589 based programer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 12F683 isn't in the supported list for that programmer.

Odd thing is it appears to be a HVP type programmer but they want you to pull LVP to GND (makes it seem like a low voltage programmer)
It does seem to support the more common 12F629 and 12F675.

Well the AN589 was originally ONLY for the 16C84, and it was never very popular, as it was quite a strange design.

But it uses the same programming connections as any serially programmed PIC, and should work with most PIC's supported by IC-Prog.

T Y for your answers. The idea that seems to program the 12f629/675 made me wonder. Because i only buy 12f683 (is cheaper than 629/675 and easyer to find.) I had to make a dedicated programer...asked about it on this forum.
The one I want to build it's a gift for someone who just bought a 16f84. I was just curious (shoot me) if someone used it for a 683. Hope that my friend will pass the '84 phase and still use the programer.

Why build a more complicated programmer that's not well supported?, just build a David Tait type one, like the P16PRO and P16PRO40.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Why build a more complicated programmer that's not well supported?, just build a David Tait type one, like the P16PRO and P16PRO40.
Of course if it's to complicated....most of the time is the wrong way, but what can I say i like to tinker and experiment.

Actually, you have to pull LVP to GND in some pics to program it properly in HVP mode. I don't know why this design is considered 'strange' because its internal workings are pretty much the same as the Tait type. And an589 works with almost every pic if you take enough care with wire crosstalking, decoupling and cable line termination, alltought those issues are present on most pic programmers.

It's considered 'strange' because it's over complicated, simply because it's designed using a bad choice of chips - with a little extra thought about was was required David Tait produced a simpler more useful design, and the AN589 was doomed!

err.. Actually, I'm building a 'tait-type' right now and finding it bit more complicated. It uses more gates and more pull up/down resistors than the an589. Also, can the buffers really be switched between inverting and non-inverting without requiring any circuit changes?

I'm building this programmer because an589 did not permit control over the Vdd line and thus was not able to do 'vpp-before-vdd'. I'm not really sure if Tait's support that, but as the Vdd can be switched at will, I'm assuming it can

Yes, it just needs changes in the software.

I'm building this programmer because an589 did not permit control over the Vdd line and thus was not able to do 'vpp-before-vdd'. I'm not really sure if Tait's support that, but as the Vdd can be switched at will, I'm assuming it can

Tait's do, but don't go for his original design, he wasn't (and isn't) a hardware designer, and he made the mistake of using CMOS switches for Vpp and Vdd - where he should have used PNP transistors (as he did later).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…