Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project help.. Is this possible? Transistor..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgrios

Table: (6 Items at these specifications)
Rated Voltage: 12v
Input Current 0.30 Amp Max
Input Power 1.8 Watts Max

:confused:

I need some help with a circuit I'm trying to make. I have a single power input which consists of, a 12v lead and 5v lead. What I'm trying to do is power 6 items off of the single power input. Each of the 6 items that I'm trying to power at the same time, need Input Current of 0.30 Amp Max, Input Power 1.8 Watts Max. How would I go about providing this? A transistor, is what comes to mind, but what type? I wouldn't want to use a OP AMP would I?

Sgrios said:
Table: (6 Items at these specifications)
Rated Voltage: 12v
Input Current 0.30 Amp Max
Input Power 1.8 Watts Max

:confused:

I need some help with a circuit I'm trying to make. I have a single power input which consists of, a 12v lead and 5v lead. What I'm trying to do is power 6 items off of the single power input. Each of the 6 items that I'm trying to power at the same time, need Input Current of 0.30 Amp Max, Input Power 1.8 Watts Max. How would I go about providing this? A transistor, is what comes to mind, but what type? I wouldn't want to use a OP AMP would I?

hi,
If you require to power six devices rated at 12Vdc at 0.3Amp, you need a 6 * 0.3Amp, 12Vdc, 1.8Amp power supply.
You can buy a 12Vdc 2A power supply [psu] for about £5 to £10GBP.

Does this help?

To go a little more in depth.

What I want to do is build a controller of sorts. 6 Fans, is what I'd like to run through the controller. With one standard power supply 4-pin Molex connector as power for the fans/controllers. The fans specs are above. With running 6 fans, i'm trying to build a circuit that will help reduce the power supply load, to keep the +5v and +12v rails stable, since it's a overclocked computer. It's a 500 watt power supply.

What I wanted to know, is what I would use to amplify the Molex connector's power enough to run 6 fans? A transistor? So, i'd like to build a rotary switch for each fan, to control the voltage for each fan header(6).

Hope this helps out a bit more.

Your 12V power supply must provide 1.8A to operate six 0.3A fans. A transistor can't majically make more current.
A transistor can reduce the current or switch it on and off.

1.8a is hardly much of a load for a 500w power supply

if you paid more than $100 for your "500w" supply, they you have a true 500w... if you paid less than $100, you most likely have something that might do 500w if you submerge it in liquid nitrogen, but at room temp probably does 350w at best.

either way, look at Video, CPU, RAM and Hard drive as power hogs in a computer, not fans.

you mention an overclocked computer - your power supply really should have 2 or more 12v rails, each dedicated to a specific subsystem. the cpu gets its own 12v rail via the P4 connector, the video gets its own via the PCI-E connector, ram should have a standard 4pin molex connector (or two, located on the motherboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back