Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project Power Supply 115VAC to 7-15VDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

james211

So here is the project, I have two peristaltic dosing motors that run on 115VAC and an arduino with relay shield that runs on 7-15VDC for turning the motors on and off. I want to enclose all of this in a metal instrument case with a single power cord. So what I'm looking for is a small AC-DC power adapter that I can enclose in the project box to keep the whole thing simple. Does this make sense?

Can I strip out a wall-wart or is that too risky?

You don't mention the motor power requirements beyond the voltage? Anyway, I don't see why you can't just use a well filtered wall wart to power the Arduino and associated low DC voltage stuff. Why strip the wall wart? I have a 12 VDC 1 Amp wall wart I use to drive a small 5 volt regulator with for some of my old uC projects. You need to better define what you need for voltages and currents beyond the 115 VAC for the motors.

Ron

I'd go for a small 12V wall-wart. A 0.5A rating should be more than adequate if you're only driving 1 or 2 relays. The relay contacts, of course, would need to be rated for a 115VAC inductive load at > whatever current the 2 motors draw.

You can get them with cords on both ends like this;
51MWNn4qM8L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back