Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Protection circuit for 3 phase bridge misconnection?

Flyback

Hi,
The attached circuit is the "standard" way to protect
against accidental misconnection of the 3 phase half wave diode bridge.
(ie a phase and neutral getting accidentally swapped)
But as can be seen, its a huge amount of componentry.
Any lower_component_count ways?

(LTspice and PNG attached)

Attachments

• 3 phase diode bridge protection.png
    3 phase diode bridge protection.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 3 diode bridge protection.asc
    24.3 KB · Views: 4
I would use a microcontroller.

Each phase would be connected with a potential divider, but a three-resistor potential divider. There would be a low value resistor between the analog input and ground, and an equal resistor between the analog input and +5 V (assuming a 5 V supplied microcontroller). The final resistor would be a high value resistor between the phase and the analog input. A total of 9 resistors for 3 phases.

So each phase would be measured, the peak negative voltage giving near 0 V on the analog input of the microcontroller, and the peak positive voltage giving near 5 V on the analog input.

With that, the processor can work out if all the voltages are correct and if the phase rotation is correct.

I did something very similar to check phase rotation using a PIC16F877 about 20 years ago. In that case the processor had to do a load of other stuff which is why I used a microcontroller with so many pins. There are 8 pin microcontrollers with 5 analog channels that could do what you want.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back