PSU "Schematic" help me understand AC/DC Bridge Rectifiers, Proper Grounding, and Series AC Connections

MATTHEW_KING

Although my schematic is not standard
I'm trying to build a proper PSU for my Alactron 500 series rack since PSU's for this model are no longer being produced. I need help determining if my design is correct, especially regarding grounding and connections for AC/DC, bridge rectifiers, and DC-.

Color Codes:

Purple: AC Red: DC+ Black: DC- Green: Ground I'm unsure if the grounding is connected properly, and I'm also concerned about preventing ground loops. Additionally, I believe a capacitor might be needed at the DC- line, along with fuses and components to smooth out the currents, as this PSU will be used with audio equipment.

Although my schematic is not standard, it should be clear enough to understand. I'm seeking practical advice from anyone experienced in electronics. Thank you

Attachments

• 500 RACK 5PIN DIN PSU v9.png
    94 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0830.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
- list all currents
- Are you skilled in low-noise PSU's?
If not, then this is a shopping question.
Never made a psu in my life but I chose a toroidal transformer to reduce emf, I will also filter the power before and after the buck converters with capacitors and LC filters.. I'm just using chat gpt to understand better. been studying for 40 hours only.. I'll build it myself for better or for worse and implement a slowblow fuse in the beginning of it and a quick blow in the end.. As of now I'm trying to wrap my head around how the bridge rectifier works, if i should split ac cable one and connect that to rectifier 1 ac in 1 and rectifier 2 ac in 1 and put my second 24v wire into rectifier two ac in 2 im wondering if that would create 67DC +/- out of rectifier 2.. this DC will be pulsating so i need to send it into capacitor to have a steady flow to reduce noise, and improve stability, capicitors are rated appropriately.. the 500 rack with everything will draw 5 amps max, the current diodes are rated for 5amps which is kinda tight but its to prevent backflow as im splitting the rectifiers one output from capacitor 1 into 2 buck converters.. Its just is my current understanding of getting higher dc by splitting a 24v cable in two to get 24v to two different places and also attatch 24v_2 into rectifier 2 to get 48v _> 67V DC correct if the transformer can handle the amp pull or is my basic understanding of electronics wrong. As stated I've only studied electronics for 2 days but I'm kinda crazy so perhaps I learn quicker than most or burn down the house, idk. Also heatsinks should be able to manage the overall 25 watts of heat generated from this circuit. Specifically the buck converters that convert electricity to heat to get a lower voltage output.. I think..

Thank you so much for responding, im greatful for any help I can get.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…