Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PSX Controller...

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidhelix

Is there a way that I can plug a PSX (Playstation) controller unto my
PC?

Yep. It's very popular among PC gamers that are also videogamers. Devices are sold that let you interface anything from an Atari joystick to a PS2 controller to your computer via USB. They're pretty cheap too. But, you can also build very simple one's yourself for most controllers by interfacing them to your PC's parallel port. I built one that interfaces to my parallel port and connects two SNES controllers. I also bought a USB interface to connect two PS2 controllers; for very cheap.

But, you can also build very simple one's yourself for most controllers by interfacing them to your PC's parallel port. I built one that interfaces to my parallel port and connects two SNES controllers. I also bought a USB interface to connect two PS2 controllers; for very cheap.

What are the components to build?

solidhelix, I don't know how useful this would be to you, but I did a PSX controller project a while back to interface a gamepad to an 8-bit microcontroller. This info doesn't explain the PS/2 emulation part of it, but it might clear up some questions you might have about how the pad works in general. :wink:

Say, Electric Rain. Did you happen to ever come across any data for PS2 controllers--like for the handshaking or the controller IDs. I can't seem to find any detailed information on them.

DigiTan said:
Say, Electric Rain. Did you happen to ever come across any data for PS2 controllers--like for the handshaking or the controller IDs. I can't seem to find any detailed information on them.

Nope. But then again, I never looked either. :lol: Nice site BTW. :wink:

solidhelix said:
What are the components to build?

Here's a step-by-step guide for making a 4-player PSX to parallel port adapter. **broken link removed** Here's another one: http://www.emulatronia.com/reportajes/directpad/psxeng/index.htm I've also got this one: **broken link removed** As you can see from the schematic in the second one, it's actually very simple and you can build it however you like. :)

Rain

Hey, Electric Rain. Sorry I got cut off from AIM yesterday (campus lab shut down at 2am). Anyway, I couldn't find that link you wanted on the other game controllers (N64, DC, Genesis, etc) but basically, I found it the first time just using Google over and over again.

The PSX, SNES, and NES signals seem to have the most in common. N64 is a bit differenent because it uses a discreet PWM instead of basic highs & lows. Gamecube might be a problem, because it seems to run on 3.4v logic and the I/Os aren't TTL tolerant. The other ones I haven't researched much but they're generally better-documented than the PS2 type I was looking for.

Well, 'hope all this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back