Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PT100 Voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

Hello I'm going to read the PT100 from a PIC A/D.

I have the resistance table attached.I need the voltage levels of 0'C & 300'C.It has only resistance values.

Thanks.

Attachments

• TD_TV_PT1A.pdf
    61.7 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
I have the resistance table attached.I need the voltage levels of 0'C & 300'C.It has only resistance values.

I do believe you may want to give this a read and gain an understanding of how a PRT works.

The voltage out will be a function of the current flowing through the resistance. At for example 0 Degrees C the resistance is 100 Ohms and I have a fixed current of 1 mA the output will be 1 mV drop across the PRT. If the current is 10 mA I would get 10 mV. This looks good till I get into trouble with self heating effect, I suggest you study up on that a little too.

Generally you could place your PRT 100 in a bridge circuit and then signal condition and amplify the output and then feed your PIC. Also don't forget to figure in the A/D bits of the PIC so you can understand your resolution.

<EDIT>

What is self heating?Pt100 are constructed of very fine wires or very thin coatings. The very small cross-sectional areas in the sensing elements will tend to heat when electrical current is applied.

Most of the Pt100 are specified to be operated with a current of 1 milliamp or less.

The test for self-heating as detailed by the European Standard IEC60751:2008 involves placing the sensor in a controlled temperature bath of water at a temperature between 0°C and 30°C with a liquid flow > 0.2 m/s and/or in flowing air with a velocity of (3±0.3) m/s. The sensor' s resistance is measured with the minimum current and then measured with current increased in steps.A typical range for self-heating in an industrial Pt100 is 30 to 60mW/°C.

</EDIT>

Also you may want to give this a read.

Ron

Last edited:
The PT100 is used for building management purposes in Germany with great success.

(e.g. temperature control of air movement systems or fire warnings)

However, running a fixed voltage across it the self-heating effect might reduce it's accuracy a lot at low temperatures.

It is normally used in a voltage divider, reducing self heating with increasing temperature due to increasing resistance.

Using a PT100 without a precision resistor in a voltage divider circuit is good for nothing!

Boncuk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back