PT100 Voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

Hello I'm going to read the PT100 from a PIC A/D.

I have the resistance table attached.I need the voltage levels of 0'C & 300'C.It has only resistance values.

Thanks.

Attachments

• TD_TV_PT1A.pdf
    61.7 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
I have the resistance table attached.I need the voltage levels of 0'C & 300'C.It has only resistance values.

I do believe you may want to give this a read and gain an understanding of how a PRT works.

The voltage out will be a function of the current flowing through the resistance. At for example 0 Degrees C the resistance is 100 Ohms and I have a fixed current of 1 mA the output will be 1 mV drop across the PRT. If the current is 10 mA I would get 10 mV. This looks good till I get into trouble with self heating effect, I suggest you study up on that a little too.

Generally you could place your PRT 100 in a bridge circuit and then signal condition and amplify the output and then feed your PIC. Also don't forget to figure in the A/D bits of the PIC so you can understand your resolution.

<EDIT>

</EDIT>

Also you may want to give this a read.

Ron

Last edited:
The PT100 is used for building management purposes in Germany with great success.

(e.g. temperature control of air movement systems or fire warnings)

However, running a fixed voltage across it the self-heating effect might reduce it's accuracy a lot at low temperatures.

It is normally used in a voltage divider, reducing self heating with increasing temperature due to increasing resistance.

Using a PT100 without a precision resistor in a voltage divider circuit is good for nothing!

Boncuk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…