Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulse generator on any Edge Detect

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodSTAR

Hello guys, I need a hopefully a single chip (or circuit if necesary) that meets the following requirements.

The following characteristics:
-voltaje: TTL (DC 3v3 / 5v)
-input: a pulse signal
-action: detect any high or low edge (of input pulse)
-output: a full pulse for each detected edge (of input pulse)
-other: the width of output pulse should be configurable example: example 1 uS (variable via pot)
-frequency: 50kHz at least

it sounds to me like a 555 can do that, really not sure. I'm a software guy, not an electronics yet.

I attached an image to make it clearer...

Attachments

• q_pulse.JPG
    q_pulse.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 231
thanks Ron,
wow! that looks like black magic... xP
So if I place a POT in place of R1 I can vary the high width time (period)??

PD: Should a 4070 also work instead? (CMOS Quad Exclusive-OR Gate)

Last edited:
Yes, you can use a pot to vary the pulse width, and yes you can use a 4070. The 4070 has a high input impedance so you can use a larger resistor and a smaller capacitor for the same pulse as compared to the 74LS86.

very nice, thanks crutschow,
but, which formula should I use to get the values of capacitor and resistance to get a determined high time?
Example: 1uS

Last edited:
very nice, thanks crutschow,
but, which formula should I use to get the values of capacitor and resistance to get a determined high time?
Example: 1uS
With a typical logic threshold for the 4070, the pulse width should be somewhat less that the RC time constant. Thus, for example with C= 100pF you would want R to be 10k ohm or a little higher.

Edit: A 50k ohm pot should give you plenty of adjustment range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back