Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Push Buttons Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakebalisbis

Hi Guys,

Good day!

I am working on a project which has five push buttons (Normally Open) which also have five lamps. For example, when I "tap" the push button Number 1 the Lamp Number 1 will TURN ON but will not TURN OFF unless I tap the push button again. If I tap push button Number 2, Lamp 1 will TURN OFF and Lamp 2 will TURN ON. I know there are available push button which locks down when you press it but I want to use a push button where in the lamps stays ON until I tap the button again. Also, the sequence should be one lamp at a time. When I go to the next button, the last lamp I tapped will go OFF and will turn ON the lamp that the button I pushed.

hope you may help me.

regards,

jake

I would use a Picaxe 14M, micro controller to do the logic gating with.
Its a very simple Micro to use and a simple program needed to do it with as i have listed below.

You dont say what the lamps are or what voltage the circuit will operate at, so some additional components could be needed to do the switching if higher than 5 volts and greater than 20mA, but a handful of transiators or mosfets would handle that.

Pete.

Attachments

• Lamp toggle.pdf
    17.7 KB · Views: 190
Jake,
I’m not sure about what you want to do at the end of the sequence. I found several DPDT push on/push off switches from All Electronics for less than a dollar a piece. Wire them in sequence with a NO of the current switch and NC of the next in the sequence and it will do as you asked. Since these are DPDT, you can use the second pole to extend the sequence for a second cycle. At the end of the first cycle, all switches are down and lamp 5 is lit, at the end of the second cycle, all switches are up and lamp 5 is lit.

However, if this is to be a presentation display, it is easy enough to have all lamps off if all buttons are up and only lamp 5 on if all buttons are down and you have to reset by pushing the down buttons a second time.

The description of the project is a bit cinfusing. Basically, I believe, you want an interlocking 5 pos switch with individual on/off.
Why not have a 6 pos switch: Off, 1,...5. Easy to do with a 4 or 5 logic ICs and a handfull of parts. E

I designed and debugged a TTL version of an electronic self-cancelling switch like that back in 1978. Works almost excactly like an old car radio. Differing from yours, a second press of a button did not turn the light off, but I did have a master reset that would. In addition, if you pushed two switches at once, the two corresponding LEDs came on, pushing another cancelled them out and illuminated its own. I was going to use this to control an electronic source selector in a preamp I was designing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back