Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Push Buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hey all... I was woundering if anyone has info on making TV Remote type push buttons? Like the ones that are on board copper traces or well i think they are and use like a gel feel shaped magnet type thing to connect/close the circuit.

AtomSoft said:
Hey all... I was woundering if anyone has info on making TV Remote type push buttons? Like the ones that are on board copper traces or well i think they are and use like a gel feel shaped magnet type thing to connect/close the circuit.

hi atom,
The cheaper remotes use a conductive pad under the plastic push that 'shorts' out copper sections on the pcb copper track.

like on some cellphones i have seen that... but any links on whereto buy them? Because i know that they have to be a certain shape to pop back up when pressed

AtomSoft said:
like on some cellphones i have seen that... but any links on whereto buy them? Because i know that they have to be a certain shape to pop back up when pressed
hi,
I expect you have stripped down an old remote.?

The button assembly is a flat sheet of a rubber type material.
Each button position is slightly domed so that the pcb strips are only shorted when the dome is depressed.
You can cut up the sheet into individual switches.

If you make your own track, make sure you tin it.

Use a ohm meter to check the dome conductive pad.

I'll look for a source... :)

Searched for conductive membrane switches
EDIT:
http://www.ssielectronics.com/

Look at the resource documents on the link.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
If you just want a re programmable remote the ones with a JP1 connector are hackable if you can still find them. Your Junebug might even be able to program the EEPROM directly...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml

Else I think the buttons you're looking for are called membrane.

thanks for the name Bill i found this:
**broken link removed**

I might just make this:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8033

and buy this from them and cut it into 4 seperate cubes:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7836

Since i know the basic design of it im sure i can make the device in eagle and print it out on my own board and just use there actual buttons... I will also add the LED in the middle (maybe)

I just posted this app note, wish I found it ages ago when you were doing your IR transmitter.

I've not used that Sparkfun keypad, looks neat though.

Attachments

• 01064A.pdf
    228.1 KB · Views: 223
Just tested making a button with a radioshack board and 2 wires and a multimeter. Also with a Rubber Silicon pad from a old broken remote and works pretty well.. Just soldered wires to board and connected each to a probe on the meter then on the top rail i used some solder to tin the board and placed the button pad thingy on the board and pressed and works good...

Thanks guys i will try the sparkfun stuff tho I like the look :D

just reading the sheet (app note) and noticed in nigels code He turns on LED for 7 uS and then off for only 14 should it not be off for 18uS for each pulse?

The DECFSZ is 1 cycle right? Unless skipped?
a goto is 2 cycles

so missing 1uS would it really matter?

Last edited:
Mostly 25-50% duty cycle will be fine for 38KHz range.

It will be all right, the values vary with the fluorescent disturbances & the range that you are using the transmitter & the battery level.

Exact values wont work for longer time.Receiver software must detect a range other than a fix value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back