Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM with digi-pot for heated gloves/socks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tightwad

Hello...I am an electrical tinkerer, with no formal training. For that reason my question may seem rather silly, but I am also willing to try anything. I want to learn how it all works, but that takes time....

I also have ADD (I am convinced) so I usually have 5-7 projects going at any one time. I just recently finished a PWM circuit for controlling fan speed on a computer. The circuit was fine, just bigger than I would like for my current project.

I would like to power and regulate a pair of heated gloves or socks individually. typically these are controlled together, but I might wish one hand/foot to be warmer than the other.

Total amp draw per glove is .85, at 13.5 volts (vehicle power). I would like to make a circuit that would be small enough to connect to the glove, and which would use a digi-opt with up/down switch instead of a rotary potentiometer.

I found this circuit, but I don't know enough to know if it can regulate the .85 amps needed:**broken link removed** (click on picture to go to relevant page)

Other questions:

where do the outputs of Q1 go? I see one is the ground side of the "lamp", but what does the black -> mean?

Sorry for the silly questions!

Tightwad

Hi,

you can make the circuit real small using an NE555 wired for PWM. It is just an 8-pin-IC and the MosFet transistor adds some extra room. Using a digital pot you should know if that circuit contains an internal switch debouncing circuit. (Otherwise the pot might "turn" too much.)

If you use a BUZ10 or BUZ11 they will suffice for your application. I made a motor byce handle heater system with 50W each and they perform well without a heatsink. They are just mounted to the metal of the enclosure which is air cooled.

To increase cooling of the transistors just bolt a small heatsink onto the enclosure.

I do not recommend to use the entire circuit in or on your gloves. Just make a small control box with two buttons and stow the control box at a place where it gets cooling air from the wind.

The black triangle underneath the MosFet is circuit ground.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back