QRP transceiver kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam2

Do any of you radio guys have any experience with this transceiver kit or any of their products? **broken link removed**
Thanks, sam

Are you a ham radio operator proficient in sending and receiving Morse Code? You will have to be to use this xciever as shown.

Morce code transciever

No, I am not a radioham, but my neighbor is. I learned some morse codes while I was in the airforce 55 years ago, but I have forgotten about it already a long time ago.

Bert Kuijpers said:
No, I am not a radioham, but my neighbor is. I learned some morse codes while I was in the airforce 55 years ago, but I have forgotten about it already a long time ago.

Sorry, Bert. I was addressing Sam's original question. The transceiver he is asking about only transmits CW, I think. In addition, being set up for 10 and 12 meter operation isn't going to give much in the way of traffic, since those are pretty much "dead" bands much of the time.

If you were in the AF 55 years ago, that makes you as old an old codger as I am!!!

Regards

Looks like that transceiver can be had with modules from 160 to 10 meters - Sam didn't say which ones he had. Best way to improve CW proficiency is on the air practice - once you've got the basics down. I've heard lots of good things about that transceiver.

One of next things on my amateur radio to-do list is get back to CW.

Thanks for the replies.
I am studying for my Tech license right now.
I have heard good things about the sierra too, and I am really interested in CW.
My dad was a radio operator in the coast guard and then merchant marine. I was about 9 years old and he had his old practice rig out( the one he used for his training) and I asked if I could try it. After about 5 minutes, he asked if I really wanted to learn and I told him yes.
He started me out with a few characters at 20 WPM and went on from there. I remember it just being a jumble at first and then it just clicked in my head.
That was a long time ago , but I know I can re-learn it. sam

When I was learning CW, several hams with CW experience told me that I'd eventually hear letters instead of dits and dahs, then I'd start to hear words - they were right. Really cool when that happens - like becoming proficient in another language.

IMHO those prices are way too much for something that spurts out 2 watts and requires band modules along with the effort to install them. You can get a ready-made all band tranceiver on eBay for a bit more... sometimes less, if it's an old Yeasu or TenTec. Those old tranceivers can be modified and improved like crazy. Heck, even an old Heathkit SB-102 is nicer to have than that expensive tiny thing if you ask me.

I don't disagree with you in terms of power/capability/features per dollar - it's not economical. It is a kit offering lots to learn for some and if that's not of significant value then it's not a good deal.

The kit may have some advantages for portable operation - power consumption being a big deal to a hiker or similar user.

stevez said:
Really cool when that happens - like becoming proficient in another language.

Like learning Latin, maybe? Yes, it is indeed thrilling to be able to communicate at a reasonable speed CW, but I'm afraid that will soon become a thing of the past. Since there is no longer a code requirement for licensing, there will soon be no one with that talent. It's a pity. One can get good at that. When I was a ham, if I was talking with someone who had a good "fist", I could follow the conversation without writing it down, just as one could listening to voice. But I was on the key 10 to 12 hours a day, then.

stevez said:
It is a kit offering lots to learn for some and if that's not of significant value then it's not a good deal.
I agree, even though kits can sometimes cost more, the experiance you gain by building it is worth the extra cost.

The ARRL has the schematic , PCB artwork, parts list and construction details for the radio as a free down load on their site.
The board is double sided with through plating though so I may build it Ugly or Manhattan style.
$200+ is alot, plus the moduals.
I am going to build it, we shall see if it works or not when Im done.
Thanks for the advice
sam

A CW transmitter can be quite simple and inexpensive to construct. Receivers can also be relatively simple though a simple receiver can also be difficult to operate in a noisey (RF) environment. Used to be that CW could get thru when other modes failed however that's changed too - various digital modes get thru (PSK31 for example) when you can barely hear anything at all.

Hi,
To answer the orininal question,
The Sierra is an established design with a good reputation.
When starting out MOQ's on toroid cores, correct capacitors etc can make a kit a better option.

Another advantage of CW is it requires an extremely narrow bandwidth and a low power level to transmit over huge distances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…