Quadratic Zero/Pole Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp1390

Hi all, this is a quick question regarding bode plots.

Say you have a quadratic term in the numerator or denominator like the following:

[latex]H(s) = \frac{1}{s^2 + 5s + 6}[/latex]

[latex]H(s) = \frac{1}{6((\frac{s}{sqrt{6}})^2 + \frac{5}{6}s + 1)}[/latex]

Now looking at that most of us would probably say, oh factor the bottom quadratic into two simple poles:

[latex]H(s) = \frac{1}{(s + 2)(s + 3)}[/latex]

[latex]H(s) = \frac{1}{6(\frac{s}{2} + 1)(\frac{s}{3} + 1)}[/latex]

but say, the quadratic pole/zero was not easily seen as factorable and was left in it's standard form.

Instead of having two poles at s = -2 and s = -3, there would be a single quadratic pole at [latex]s = -sqrt{6}[/latex].

This is a completely different bode plot compared to having two simple poles. How are they related?

Thanks

Last edited:
jp1390,

Instead of having two poles at s = -2 and s = -3, there would be a single quadratic pole at at

You can always find the roots by the quadratic formula, even if they are not integers. Factoring out 6 puts the equation into a nonstandard form, but it does not change the roots. I don't under your statement which I quoted above.

Ratch

Last edited:
I figured it out actually. To be able to draw the Bode plot you must first try to factorize the quadratic pole/zero into simple real poles/zeros. If they are complex, then you have a quadratic root and it must be left in the unfactorized form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…