Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about door bells?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a standard 12V door bell.
The configuration is like this:

220V bell push ---> transformer 220V-12V ----> 12V door bell.

I want to install another door bell in another part of the house, the problem is that 2 bells won't work with 1 transformer.
If I put in the second door bell, they won't ring out.

Do I have to put in a second transformer separately from the other bell like this:

220V bell push ----> transformer1 ----> door bell 1
_____________----> transformer2 ----> door bell 2

Will this work?
Thanks for reading.

Normally you would go :

Transformer 220v-12v -> bell push -> door bell

This gets round needing a high voltage IP rated bell push as you are only switching isolated 12 volts so can use thin cheap cable and bell push.

You could use the 12v to the doorbell to drive a relay which could switch a second 220-12v transformer which is directly connected to the bell but obviously make sure you have the correct cable and fusing.

If you are worried that the transformer will be overloaded if both doorbells are ringing at the same time then think about any time it would happen. Very seldom, maybe when people are all around outside your home and a huge storm suddenly comes.

Doorbell transformers are typically 16 V which makes them quite odd. Yours could very well be 12V.

Many "doorbell" transformers are "Energy limiting" and don't need fuses. The secondary will survive a short circuit.

So, you really have three options:
1) Upgrade the doorbell transformer; We'll assume that the push button can handle two bells.
2) Use a separate transformer and bell + a relay for the new bell.
3) The option with the least amount of issues is to have both push buttons activate the relay and use the relay to switch both bells.
You can go with two or 1 transformers.

Back and front doors and whether you need a contact closure for other automation services as well as ease of doing the work are considerations.

I have only one doorbell.
Pushing the button at the front of the house makes, "Ding-dong". Pushing the button at the back makes, "Ding".
In 30 years it never had both buttons pushed at the same time.

Welcome to the forum.
Unless you want to give the postie a nasty surprise next time it rains do not put 220v on your bell push, connect the 12v to it as mentioned.
You trans ought to be able to ring 2 chimes, if its wired right then the trans doesnt have the capacity, the best way to sort that out is to go and get a higher capacity bell transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back