Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on Volt / Coulomb relationship. Does anybody get this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blingo

To my understanding, an amp is defined as 6.25 x 10 to the 18th electrons moving past a given point in one second. (The flow of one coulomb per second past a given point.) An ohm of resistance is present when one coulomb flows through it in one second (one amp)and it dissipates 0.24 calorie of heat. One volt is the amount of potential difference neccessary for that to take place.

So here's my question: What does one volt equal in Coulombs? If charge is excess electrons or the lack thereof how many excess electrons does it take to make a volt?

Volts and Coulombs are differing entities with differing units. One cannot be equated to the other. One volt = 1 joule/coulomb. This is well known. Voltage is simply work per unit charge.

I understand that when one coulomb is forced to move through a resistance of one ohm, .24 calorie or one joule gets dissipated. So one joule is used to move one coulomb through one ohm. The best that I understand it potential difference is the measure of the difference between charges. (i.e. negative 2 coulombs compared to positive 2 coulombs has a difference of 4 coulombs etc.) So how do joules enter the picture? Can the attractive or repulsive force of a difference of one coulomb be measured in joules?

Not quite. One coulomb through one volt is an energy of one joule. To better understand this, I recommend "Fundamentals Of Physics" by Halliday-Resnick. It is a classic 2nd year physics text with a couple chapters on the basics of e/m fields. Your questions will be answered in detail. BR.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back