questions on identifying salvaged parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veraxis

I am new on this forum and to hobby electronics, so I apologize in advance for asking questions that probably seem exceedingly basic to the more experienced members on this site.

Firstly, I would like to ask about a part that I took out of an old phone receiver (see photo), with 4 pins and +/- markings. does anyone know what it is?

Also, this same circuit had a number of surface-mount transistors on it, but the markings seemed to be custom markings for the manufacturer (e.g. 2 or 3 digit codes like "33" or "G08"). Is there any way to test these parts or otherwise find out their specs?

Lastly, I have a number of capacitors which I have taken out of circuits for which I am unsure about the markings. (See attached photo) 1. For the three large electrolytic caps shown, is there any way to tell the capacitance and/or max voltage rating from these unconventional markings? 2. for film and tantalum capacitors is there a way to tell the maximum voltage ratings from the markings? (Or are they generally high enough that one does not need to know)? 3. for unmarked surface-mount capacitors, is there any way to figure out the maximum voltage ratings (that is, short of applying an increasing voltage until the capacitor breaks), or, again, are they generally high enough that I should not have to worry? (I tried to look at the capacitor guide on the "new to electronics FAQ", but the link was dead.)

thanks.

Attachments

• Unidentified part.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 204
  • capacitors.jpg
    872.7 KB · Views: 314
The four pin chip with the + & - marking could be a bridge rectifier used for ring detection but I think it is more likely an opto coupler

The item marked with ~ & +/- would be a bridge rectifier.

The foil capacitors marked with 400V are rated at 400 volts, 223 means 22nF. Not sure about the others, they could be 50V/100V, could be 400V...

The thing marked 240 6X may be a ptc, polyswitch or (less likely) a cap.

The smd component is most likely a ferrite bead (if it passes DC current & has low resistance) or a capacitor.

Not sure about the electros either, sorry. You can measure the capacitance using a resistor and a scope & timing its charge period. You can measure the voltage but you'd require a high voltage dc source.

The thing marked with 'energizer' is most likely a cat but I might be wrong.

The item marked with ~ & +/- would be a bridge rectifier.

The thing marked 240 6X may be a ptc, polyswitch or (less likely) a cap.

The thing marked with 'energizer' is most likely a cat but I might be wrong.

Thanks for the fast replies all. Good to know about the bridge rectifier.

As for the thing I mistakenly assumed to be a tantalum cap, I checked a board with the same part, but I did not recognize the symbol (see photo, sorry if it is blurry). The label behind it reads "ZNR1", and when I checked online it seemed similar to a variant symbol for a varistor. Is it a varistor or something else?

p.s. the AA "cat" in my photo was meant to be a scale reference. Sorry if I was not clear about that.

Attachments

• part.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 193

Comparing the markings between the two surge suppressors, both are marked 240, so you may be right. the "6x" part is different on the other one, so it is probably just a unit number for the manufacturer.

As for the cap labeled 654, that's an interesting theory, but do you really think that they would mark the ESR instead of any of the others specs? Unfortunately I have no other caps with that kind of marking to compare it to...

What did these parts come out off? E

The bridge rectifiers, surge suppressor, and smd cap/ferrite bead came out of an old phone receiver. The electrolytic and film capacitors came off of flash circuits from disposable cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…