Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick Eagle question

Status
Not open for further replies.

danrogers

Hi all.

I'm designing a PCB at the moment which will have a space for a Arduino Nano to plug in. On the main board I have got the outline of the Arduino drawn on the 'dimension' layer. I have nearly finished so I added a polygon for a ground plane, but the plain avoids the dimension layer? Is there a way to over ride this?

Can you attach your brd file?

Never mind. I see the problem:

The top line of the inner rectangle was changed to layer 21 (top place). The other lines are dimension. I have used the dimension layer to get a "cuts to" border and never gave much thought to whether the pour included it or not. The little unfilled space up to it was an advantage for me.

For a quick fix, show the dimension layer, highlight it, then change it to something else (like top place) and re-run the ratsnest. You can change layers easily with the information icon or just use the change (wrench icon) dialog.

John

Last edited:
Thanks John, that has sorted it :)

Hmmm I also get the issue of ground plains not running up to the edges of my boards (again drawn on the dimension layer). I'm not sure what I could do about that because I need to keep it on a layer that I print out (I'm going to etch my own), so I cant really change that onto layer 21 as well?

Thanks for the help!

Hi Dan,

In a strange way, that is why I use the Dimension layer set to zero width to outline my boards. I also etch my own and like the small space as a trim line.

You could make your outline a signal (gnd), and it will fill completely to it.

John

Thanks again John, that is a good tip. I guess the small trim around the outside is not such a bad thing, but I'm glad I now know how to avoid it :)

Dan

Thanks again John, that is a good tip. I guess the small trim around the outside is not such a bad thing, but I'm glad I now know how to avoid it :)

Dan
Actually the dimension layer denotes the dimensions of the board. You should not use it for other purposes, use the mentioned t_place insted which should be used for silk screen or t_docu for other documentation. The fact that your ground plane keeps a set distance from the dimension layer is a feature, not a bug. This is most important on multilayer boards, where if you had all planes going to the very edge and milled or broke out the board out, there is a high chance that different layers will get shorted together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back