Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

quizmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert9870

hi,

I need to build an electronic infrared quizmaster with at least 5 subsystems. I would greatly appreciate any help with a quick design.

Robert

Are you talking about a "Jeopardy" style game response system?

Ken

I was thinking four buttons, whoever presses it the quickest that info is sent over infrared to a receiver where an led will light to show who has pressed their button.

Unless you have a separate, widely-spaced receivers for each transmitter you will run into conflicts. Encoded IR transmitters/receivers take time to transmit, receive, decode, and react. If two transmitters trigger at near the same time they will interfere if there is only one receiver or closely-spaced multiple receivers.

Ken

Last edited:
would it be possible to use a parallel to serial converter to use just the one transmitter/receiver ?

Last edited:
So, all the buttons could be wired to a box, and the box would sent the winner's ID over IR to another location?

Ken

The problem is you need a way to encode on the transmitting end, and decode and display on the receiving end. The [first-locks out-others] is easy. I've used variations of: http://www.techlib.com/electronics/games.html The indicator lamps could be LEDs in photocouplers that trigger buttons on a hacked TV remote. The receiver end is more complex. You can get a kit to do this, like: **broken link removed** Or you would need an IR detector and a microcontroller.

Last edited:
If you hack a TV remote transmitter, that will do the encoding and modulating.

ahaa okay, so we have 4 inputs>ir transmitter/modulator>ir receiver/demodulator>band pass filter?>not sure > LED

No. 4 inputs>ir encoder>transmitter/modulator>ir receiver/demodulator>decoder (microcontroller) > 4 LEDs

The whole package: **broken link removed**

Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back