Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

R/C MicroBoard

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuttaphong191

Whats The Cheapest But Reliable Microboard To Use?
Also Can Anyone Reccomend Parts For Me? I Want To Build A Basic R/C Bot With Using A Basic R/C Radio Controller. What Kind Of Parts Do I Need Ive Seen Many Tutorial Lists. I Want To Make Something Of My Own Can Anyone Post The Products From Various Sites That I Will Need Such As Batteries ETC.

www.fmadirect.com

They have some of the most advanced Li-poly packs and charging systems I've ever found anywhere, as well as some pretty decent micro receivers (11 grams) designed for indoor RC flight. On the micro controller end of things you'r options are so wide open there's too many to mention. You can use any micro controller to receive the servo signals and re-interpret them, or modify the receiver/xmitters to transmit your own custom baseband signal (serial data)

I just bought a Cirrus MRX-6 FM reciever for $15, to go with the $30 VEX transmitter I bought a while back. This thing is tiny, hardly bigger than a 14 pin dip chip, and works great. The crystal from the VEX reciever slips right in.

Wonder why so many of these VEX Transmitter/Recievers are surplus for under $30, at least 4 different online stores have them. One had them for $24.99, I'll post a link if I come across it again, think it was American Science & Surplus. It's a good deal on a transmitter. The VEX reciever outputs un-decoded PPM, which I haven't the programming skills to make use of yet, and so many things I'd like to to do with it...

Batteries... Kind of need to get the rest of the bot going first, so you know what you will need.

https://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=13223&cartLogFrom=Search

Last edited:
That Vex Transmitter looks like a good deal. Have you got a range yet on your transmitter/receiver setup?

Here is some links for a decoder **broken link removed** and **broken link removed**. Should be a fun project.

nickelflippr said:
That Vex Transmitter looks like a good deal. Have you got a range yet on your transmitter/receiver setup?

Here is some links for a decoder **broken link removed** and **broken link removed**. Should be a fun project.

I'm using AVR and assembler, so not much use. I did find a servo tester that also decodes PPM from a reciever, but haven't gotten around to trying to remove the decoder routine.

Anyway, not looking to hijack this thread, just wanted to share a cheap R/C option with the OP.

Excuse me, didn't mean to hijack either, just thought that the Vex RC Xmitter was relevant to the OP's question. Got one off Ebay, like you say, they are everywhere.

For the OP, there are lots of servo driven bots like the MKIII minisumo out there. There is plenty of detail there on what parts you might need. None of these type of kits seem cheap tho.

For a microcontroller board, the already mentioned Picaxe is probably the cheapest. Next bump up would be say an Olimex Proto board for a Pic or AVR. That implies you will also need a programmer of some sort (more $$).

An AVR programmer can be had for almost free, depending on what kind of stuff you got laying around. Have seen several using a parallel cable and a few descretes. Programming software is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back