race track start/finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

wslctrc

Hi all

I am an electrical contractor by trade and dabbled with electronics in the past but rustier by the day.

I am looking to make a race track for our Awana and would like to add some wow to it. It is a downhill drag race for wooden cars.

I would like to push a button and have an LED Christmas tree count down from red, yellow, yellow, yellow and then green. When the green LED lights I would like an electric solenoid to trip the starting gate and allow the cars to start.

I was looking at the finish lines that are common to these with the photo sensor and light above it tied to a circuit that would signify the winning lane, second place and then third place maybe with led numbers.

Last year I had a camcorder over the finish line wired into a computer to record and project on a screen ,the winning cars. The starting line right now is just a rod yanked to drop the starting gate but this shakes the whole track.

Any help in this project is widely accepted.

Thanks

Hi wslctrc,

did I get that right? You want three yellow LEDs in the circuit?

Boncuk

Hi

I am not really set on any # of LED's , I figured 5 would be enough if they just flashed maybe 1/2 - 1 second each for a little added suspense at the beginning of the race.

For your finish line circuit, I saw a gameshow-like circuit in an archive issue of Electronics Hobbyist. When one button is pushed, the others are disabled and the appropriate light is turned on. That circuit can be adapted for your project, with light beams or touch switches added to the race lanes. The countdown lights can be made using a 555 with a 4017 or 74154 directly driving the LEDs.

My question would be, are these wooden cars like pinewood derby, or are they more like a soapbox derby car? Size of car would make a difference in choice of solution

are you looking for something like this:
**broken link removed** or

https://www.pinewood-derby-timer.com/...by_timers.html

Look pricey...but cool ideas non the less...

these are exactly what I am looking for, but how do I work the actuator into the starting circuit?

My question would be, are these wooden cars like pinewood derby, or are they more like a soapbox derby car? Size of car would make a difference in choice of solution

Yes these are the cars we race.

They look to be pinewood derby equivalent...from what I can find...like this:
https://grandprix-race-central.com/modules.php?name=gallery2

You're on the right "track". Use an IR transmitter/detector at the finish line to detect the winner. It's best if the inputs are interrupt driven to prevent any "race" conditions. I designed something similar a few years ago for my boy scout troop. Our track only had two lanes and wasn't nearly as complex as what you are suggesting. I had lamps over each lane to signal the winner. Very simply and easy. The hardest part was installing it.

P.S.
Sorry, I couldn't resist the puns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…