Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

racing cars..

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey ppl..
m a college student making a racing car.. but m not able 2 source decent motors.. my max power cap is 12V..
can ny provide me wid some details of d motors available today..??
and some details bout d switching system..?? its gonna b a basic car wid two motors attached individually to d back tyres and d front tyres free n attached by a shaft.. its turning capability is based on d simple tank mechanism...

It is vry hard to rd d post. Plz retyp w/out replcing 3 lttr wrds w/ 1 lttr and w/out onlne chat.

We don't mind helping you but we won't do all of the work for you. Please post what you've already done including any ideas you've had and we might be able to make some suggestions. If you've got completely no idea then may be it's your lecuturer's fault and it isn't right that you make him/her look good by cheating and copying from the Internet.

sorry for writing the post in chat language..
whatever has been written above in my post also includes what has been done by me.. i mean am not an expert in this field just an amateur participating in a small inter-college event..
and this is all that has been done by me..
i am using simple tank mechanism for rotating my car, have made the controls that include a simple bridge rectifier for converting AC to DC as max power cap is 12V.. this circuit is attached to two switches which control current to the two motors attached to the back tyres of the car (its not a wireless remote..) and the front tyres hav been left free as it works out in tank mech...
now the car is workin alright but is not having enough speed.. so all my question was is there any way to increase my speed..??
the motor am using has specifications- 12V DC(2400) CCW
n as i have just entered college and robotics not being my subject, i am having difficulty finding suitable guidance, so the best thing was to turn to net..
watever i am doin is because of my interest in the field..

I think I understand where Nigels coming from now. We can't answer your post if you don't tell us where you live. You can get good high torque motors out of electric power tools, or at a radio control hobby shop which will have a huge selection of them, but that's where I live.

To increase wheel speed, you can:

-reduce the gear ratio
-get bigger wheels
-increase voltage to the motor

THey all have disadvantages. THe most notable ones are you lose torque with the first two so you can't accelerate or climb as well, and with the third method you use more power, heat up the motor more, and might exceed motor specs.

Of course, you can also get a new motor altogether. Faster motors are a lot faster, but may not have enough torque. You can also get an equally fast or stronger motor and combine it with any of the methods above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back