Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radiator fan - why four wires instead of two ?

Grossel

Hi.

Same car as discussed here:

So, we took out the radiator fan because we initially taught it was dead. However, I managed to get it to run by using a small simple 12V transformer+rectifier (doesn't immediately broke if shorted, and too little maximum current to kill the fan motor).

But the question is why car manufacturer seems to put four wires to a fan? The measured resistance between each wire is too low to determine anything, therefore I tested on bench.
The test results yields the following observed result (omitting all test resulting in running in opposite direction).

See table below (I'm somehow not able to put cursor after table, so the table have to come last)

I also measured the voltage between the poles not used when fan was fed by two wires, i.e. while fan running for second last line in table, I measured just above 2.5VDC between black and blue (the weak transformer only manage to output ~6V to the fan running).

Because I doesn't have tested with a proper PSU yet, I'm not sure if the fan is fed using all four wires (like in last row) using a proper 12V supply will simply cause the fan to run faster (because the weak transformer itself is the main limiting factor). But then again why waste an extra wire if it turn out 3 wires should be enough ?

black wireYellow wireGreen wireBlu wireResult (does it run)
negativencncplusruns ok
negativencplusncruns ok
negativeplusncncNo running. Near short (around 2 ohms)
ncnegativencplusruns ok
ncnegativeplusncruns ok
negativenegativeplusplusruns ok

Risking yo say something ridiculous, one of those inputs, could it be an input for PWM signal as in PCs fans?

A lot of car fans run a various speeds. One way of doing that is to have several brushes and they are connected ind different ways to give different speeds.

Unless you have a really powerful supply and some way of measuring the speeds, you may not be able to tell which connections are giving faster and slower speeds.

This thread (https://www.electro-tech-online.com...-wiper-motor-circuit-this-complicated.164779/) was about two speed wiper motors, which are often achieved by having three brushes.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back