Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radio frequency blocker....... stop that 80's cheese!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fingers

Hi,
Just curious if there is a device that can be made to block a particular radio FM station (or just allow a narrower range of frequencies from being received) on a nearby radio. Some of the guys at work always listen to and 80's cheese music station, and it is driving the rest of us mad!

Any ideas would be greatly received,

Thanks

lol
i was thinking of the same exact thing a few years ago, for the same exact reason!(plus some rap mixed in :x )
maybie make a low power transmitter and transmit nothing?
i know nothing about fm, so i'd like to see what you come up with

Found this site on google: **broken link removed**
You can buy one for £19.81

I like '80s music. You'll get NO help from ME!

j.

Actually, one solution seems trivial: just broadcast over it. But this will only work with rap and hip-hop stations, sorry.

this little thang here will work wonderfully. just build everything 2 the right of C2. itll just make silence on wutever station u want. it works 4 like 100 feet with a little piece o junk clok radio of mine. and itll be about the size of the top of a 9 volt battery if u build it right!! U might have 2 fiddle around w/ the capacitor and inductor to get the right frequency. If u don't know how 2 do that, just hollar n i'll help ya. If u want beter range, make th emitter resistor a smaller value :lol:.

i too despise 80's :evil:

Attachments

• fmtrans_148.jpg
    fmtrans_148.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 806
Nigel Goodwin said:
Now that's really COOL!. I'm very impressed that it has synthesised tuning for that price.
OMG you've just impressed Nigel. I didn't think that was possible... :p

Yeah, and whats wrong with 80's?!?!? Better than all this rap/hip-hop rubbish. (and i was only just born in the 80's, so don't suggest I'm showing my age!!)

John Sorensen said:
I like '80s music. You'll get NO help from ME!

j.

Actually, one solution seems trivial: just broadcast over it. But this will only work with rap and hip-hop stations, sorry.

I second that.. 80's is so bad eh.. this reminds me of a place I used to work.. The music was played on the PA system that was also used for in-store paging. The music they chose was round the clock ELEVATOR light rock type that drove all of us (save store manager) crazy..

It turns out, if you dialed a phone to make a page and left it.. it would keep the system silent and would not auto-disconnect. So we would find some obscure phone somewhere on the premesis and dial the page number and then hang the phone up so it looked like it was on-hook but actually wasnt. This kept the PA system silent for many hours while managers found each phone on the property one by one and checked it.

So we couldnt change the music played but silence was the next best thing

meh, find the wires, cut them, splice in some plugs and things, maybe a remotely operated switch or two, and have some fun.

or, everytime the music gets too cheesy, set the fire alarm off - they'll soon learn. you risk getting sacked though... :?

-=GST=- Nemisis (cs/cz) said:
see supressing the local transmitter.

**broken link removed**

That's not what's wanted, that's just to reduce the level of a very strong local transmitter, to prevent overloading of the front end of the radio - it doesn't stop reception of it, and it also involves modifying the radio or aerial system.

Its mainly to stop a local radio station (Hertbeat FM) and their transmitter is too damn close! Also Radio 2 is not so popular, so maybe that one too!! We all work in the same room, and share the hi-fi. Would transmitting over a radio stations signal (only within the room) block it out? :?:

yeah!! transmitting in the same room will definately blok any station u want. build that little transmitter that i suggested. here's exactly what to build, forgot that i had this picture. its about as simple as you can get, itll stay @ the right frequency (it never drifts) and it should work for about 100 feet off a 9 volt battery.
you could even mount it to a little transformer/power supply that outputs anywhere from 3 to 12 volts and plug it into the wall so that you don't have to worry about batteries. im not sure how long a 9 volt will last on it. Where it says signal in, don't worry about that, thats only if you want to transmit audio. You can't have it in your pocket or touch it while its in operation though, itll change the frequency.

Attachments

• oscillator_834.gif
    oscillator_834.gif
    2 KB · Views: 708
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back