Ramsey FM25B amplification

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusty

Hello, i'm new the board, but I've recently bought a ramsey 25B FM transmitter kit. While i'm waiting for delivery i thought i'd collaborate a jpole omni anttena, and also happen to think about a couple of old 1 way 75ohm f-type cable 20 db cable amplifiers that i had laying around. I was wondering if anyone has ever to use those as a RF amplifier, or if it's even possible, i know it will support the bandwidth, being wide band amp, but just wondering if it would be liable for use, of if the volt/impedances would give problems, or even worse fry the final amp out of a brand new FM25B. Any ideas, or links to this type of idea?

You can't use a line amplifier on the output of a transmitter, you require a PA amplifer - doing it is likely to fry both items.

Well I did get good news from someone over on the ramsey forums, I figured it wouldn't be much more than a small signal amp matched for 75ohm Z, it also has fm labeled on the amp for such frequency use, along with adjustable gain control and a fm trap circuit. when the kit gets here i'll do some volt/amp test between them and see if it really does make any change of output power.
This is part of the reply I got from one of the members from ramsey's board.

Looks like i'll have to test out the default power output along with adjusting my balun coil, and antenna placement/tweaking to see what kind of range i get, if not i'm considering using this cable amp after some testing, if not i have a old 2 tube sonar brand linear amp i used to use for CB broadcast that would suit the situation, but it throws out like 200W that's just asking for trouble from the FCC. I do appreciate the input though, thought someone might have tried anything familiar to this!

After running some tests, it does work, and rather well too! So for all of you who are using a F style 50-ohm antenna output I would suggest using one with variable out and also if you got time, take out the circuit and see what kinda setup the amp has. The radioshack one that i have seems to use a push-pull configuration, it also like i said has a basic LC unadjustable tank for FM filtration, but has a switch to use it or not. I've been using my old realistic RF/SWR meter to measure the RF power output, and it's amazing effective! I can go up to around 1.20 Watts out with the gain all the way up, and it doesn't clip or affect the SNR hardly at all. But what I like a lot is being able to adjust the RF output power from the lil gain knob on the amp, and not having to use the itty bitty vari-resistor on the FM25B board to control RF power. Out of interests I also checked the temperature on the pre-amp and final RF amp in my transmitter with the amplifier hooked up, it seems to take some of the stress off these transistors and they run pretty cool now. Over all i'm pretty impressed for a cheap radiohack VHF/UHF/FM amplifier, if you need a cheap amplifier for these types of needs i would suggest going with one.

mneary said:
Just for grins, have you checked your harmonic frequencies for signals?
yep, friend has an mini oscope i borrowed the other day, the signal looks pretty clean, not powerful enough to matter anyways, like i said only 1 watt, and my swr isn't THAT great, so i am getting some loss, also constantly running it through the swr/power meter. I've also wrapped the ramsey with tin foil, and and power feed line, all to an outside ground pole connection to cut back on stray amplifications, the radioshack amp is already in a metal casing, i just grounded that, also the circuit uses the casing as a few grounding leads, including the transistor biasing, which seems to be a pretty good thing. I've also been fiddling with the tank circuit thats built in there to originally block FM freqs(which it really didn't work anyways) and replaced the cap to try and block some freqs above 108mhz so the air guys won't be on my nutz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…