Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Range of 12v transmitter/receiver - anecdotal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeoman

I wanted to share this for others who may be struggling with reception range issues.
I have 4 devices I actuate using remote transmitters and receivers. All are outdoors, unobstructed, and utilize 12v 7ah batteries and identical motors.
Two of these have excellent reception which I define as 50m+; two of them marginal for my purposes at 10m+/-. All are inexpensive switching modules.
The two with better reception are both 315mhz, the others 433mhz. Looking into wave length, it makes sense, but the difference should be marginal. Researching ways to improve reception, focus was often directed at the receiver, where adding a longer antenna to the receiver and secondarily the transmitter were common recommendations, though increasing distance between the power source and switching module seemed a powerful addition, and decreasing noise was often mentioned.
My most recent disappointing module did not have a hole in the board to add more antenna. I realized a common feature of my better performing 315mhz pairs, was a transmitter with extendable antenna. These transmitters are available in 433mhz, so for $6, I ordered one.
That feature alone, with no other modifications, extended the range from 10m to 30m +. I should have extended the range experiment, but for my purposes 20m was ideal, so didn’t bother.
I’d be interested to hear feedback as to why this might be the case as in my research I never came across the suggestion that an extended antenna on a transmitter alone, could make such a difference. Of note - all transmitters in this anecdotal exercise were powered by new 3v 2032 button batteries.

I'm sure every technical person has their own views, however for me getting the energy into the air is the best way to maximise range, in other words the transmitter antenna is more important.
The receiver may well be designed to operate with a short or a board mounted antenna.
You can try and better tune the antenna by making its length equal to the frequency divided by the speed of light in meters, then divide that by 4.
You can even make a dipole for the reciever where you have one wire pointing up vertically as mentioned and another one the same length connected to the ground of the receiver pointing downwards, with this I have had 50m+ through walls with cheap 99p / pair modules.

Yep no argument there, I mentioned the rx end as I assume the tx end is a keyfob therfore not easily modified.

Did another test this morning. Went to 50m and still worked flawlessly. Didn’t go farther as to avoid entering the thigh high field of grass during tick season. Quite pleasantly surprised.

Yep no argument there, I mentioned the rx end as I assume the tx end is a keyfob therfore not easily modified.
Original tx had internal aerial and was replaced with this one which has made all the difference
1588260476042.png

I have one of those for my lights outside, with the aerial up ut does go quite a way, partly because of the aerial, and partly beacuse the battery is 12v.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back