Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rat flan

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuffock

I have been looking for info on the repair of laptops , and all I find is detailed instructions on how to dismantle one.
I am reminded of a Monty Python recipe for rat flan, which went into great detail about the lengthy and thoroughly inhumane manner in which the rat was to be killed, and concluded "then make a flan of it."
Any comments?

Repair is likely to be down to module replacement (just like a desktop PC), except that modules are likely to be VERY expensive, and probably not available.

But its probably only a simple fault. The 15v gets as far as a FET, which doesnt switch on. This is driven by a transistor, which doesnt switch on. The base of this goes down a via to somewhere.
By connecting a lab power supply across the battery, I can get the thing to run, but it stops without the battery. Leaving the psu there is fraught, I cant quite come to terms with the idea of imminent explosion.
It seems a shame to chuck it in the skip, the spec is a LOT better than the workshop computer.

You need a service manual then (or at least a circuit diagram), assuming they are even available?.

BTW, are you sure the battery isn't faulty?, they are often stuffed full of electronics, and a fault in there might prevent the computer working at all.

It'll work off the battery for a while, but it wont charge it. I'm a bit leery of going in with a sledgehammer to charge the battery externally, since the microcontroller inside may well deduce what I'm up to and disable the pack permanently.
If I could find out what all the pins on the battery connector do, I might be able to fool the laptop into believing that the lashup and lead-acid is really a pukka battery pack, then I'd have something useful.

I've got a similar laptop - works great off battery, but not at all off DC input - and won't charge the battery.

my solutions is to run it off two batteries for about 6 hours, then recharge the batteries in an older laptop (gets old after the first few times). one of these days I'll see if I can hotwire 15v straight into the battery power connector, without a battery - my guess is it won't work, thanks to smart-battery protection like you've pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back