Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rat repellant

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMalonzo

Hello there everybody, is there anybody who have a circuit to get rid of those rats on hiding on the ceiling. :evil: These creatures keep bothering us always while we are sleeping. :x i wonder that there some circuit like for those dogs around. Thanks in advance! :)

I've never seen any evidence the electronic pest repellers work. They are popular but pretty worthless.

At an old hunting cabin we use a tall narrowmouth bottle with a few inches of vegetable oil in the bottom to catch mice. They crawl in to eat the oil but cannot get out. We've often seen 20 to 50 mice in a bottle during visits. This would probably work just as well for rats. Since it's vegetable oil you can just take the rats, roll them in some bread crumbs and toss them in the oven afterwards. :D

He, he, he.
Are rats tasty?
I don't have rats nor mice, just an occasional spider, but I've never tried to cook one. What temperature and for how long? It will be difficult to see, because the spiders are already crisp and golden brown.

I can't serve spiders to my inlaws, they might think I'm a cheap tightwad (I am, and they probably know it). :roll:

I wonder why he has rats in his ceiling. Maybe he stashes food or garbage (or his inlaws) up there. :lol:

Rat poison does the job pretty effectively.

Think the general idea is to play a tone above human hearing (>20kHz) the rats can hear it but we can't. Don't know if it works though. We had a problem with rats, using poison worked pretty well.

Had a simillar problem (rodents, not in-laws). Turned out a herd of squirrels found a way into the attic. A large Victor trap got a few of them, the rest got the message..

The ultrasonic pest repellers usually do more to bother your pets than rodents. I've seen them with different settings for different types of rodents and insects. What a scam, people love these things so much and they do nothing. I wish I thought of it.

I live in a 150 year old farm house, mouse poison is often on the shopping list. Usually takes about 5 days for the mice to vanish.

lol, and you know when you got the mouse because you hear a death struggle of them going through their final moments in the ceiling :lol:

Exactly, I bought those poison blocks and threw them in my attic once. A mouse dragged it under the insulation to the sheetrock right over our bed. My wife and I listened as the mouse chewed for an hour tapping the block against the sheetrock the whole time.

We've also found whole mice in our dogs puke, that's entertainment.
:shock:

gerty said:
Had a simillar problem (rodents, not in-laws). Turned out a herd of squirrels found a way into the attic. A large Victor trap got a few of them, the rest got the message..

ROTFL, the animal kingdom fully understands sending a message, just as humans do.

I had a dog once that used to get a real thrill watching a mouse wriggle in a frantic attempt to free itself from a glue trap. That and cornering them for a stare down.

Since we're on the topic of unwanted creatures, does anybody have a good solution for cockroaches? I have a herd of them, various sizes, living under my bathroom vanity. No matter how many times I spray them, they keep coming back... I'm tired of going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, to be greeted by a flurry of brown blobs.

Hiya's
On the subject of electronic repelents my mate reckons that a 29khz on a sawtooth waveform will get rid of mozzies. He made one up and reckoned at a campsite everybody was getting eaten alive but his party tent didn't have 1 mozzie in it. Anyway I tried making up the circuit and by playing with different frequencies I ended up attracting mozzies instead of gettin rid of em. And on the mice saga ya can't beat a good cat we live on an 85 acre property and I reckon I see the cat with atleast 3-5 mice a day, the little bugger is also good on the bunny side too.

Cheers Bryan1 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back