Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Re: Starting with a pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

s1495

Hello people

I am a n00b to the PICs so far - just got it few days ago off ebay. Soldered onto the board, checked my wiring - no shorts - voltage at the pins is correct. Using this diagram...

**broken link removed**

Using 5 volt DC to drive it off spare computer power supply...
**broken link removed**

I just need to find out if this whole contraption is working.

I've been using IC-Prog 1.05E and trying multiple hex files tried to probe the pins with the yellow wire (hence it sits a pin 1 without being attached firmly). Tried many things without success.

I can program & read data back from the chip using IC-Prog without issues but on it's own in the proto-board - the chip just sits there and doesn't do anything. I turned off the watchdog option and used the XT oscillator in the IC-Prog but still no results.

Could someone suggest a reliable 16f84a(p) HEX program file that would cause all the I/O ports to go high so that I could verify whether this is working with the tiny led. Also - what pic programmer would you guys recommend for use with JDM api.

I just want the simplest reliable way to get this working first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
There is a Newcomers, please read! (PIC regarded) Upd. 0xD sticky thread at the top of the micro controller forum on this board that you should read.

What you are looking for is a blink program.

See for HEX file.
SparkFun also has what you are looking for here. Look for blinkin then the line
16F84A (Hex, Asm, C) - Works with the P18 boards, the PIC-PG4B, and In-Circuit" (note: P18 is PIC 18 pin here)

BlueRoomElectronics has a with ASM source code for a blink and a schematics for setting up the 16F84A.

has good tutorials on his WinPicProg site but uses the 16F628. The 16F84A is quite dated and expensive.

Last edited:
Discovered the issue ...

Have been using ICProg - nice software but writes the hex incorrectly to the chip...

Used PicPgm.. I'm all blinked out :) :) :) :) :)

Well, I bought all the components again and used a pin-socket prototyping board this time and kept checking, measuring and staring at the PIC, but I figured before I'd report back here and whine - I'll try few more configurations, voltages, etc.

I noticed verification was working fine right after it programmed but as soon as I told it to accept new configuration and wrote that to the chip, verification started failing tonight.

I found this thread and some other similar info on it with other users having similar error message.

https://www.yelloworb.com/orbblog/?p=221

Switched to PicPGM and it worked right away for any voltage 3 - 9. I also got WinPic and now trying to compile first program in MPLab. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back