Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Read Playstation Controller Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemE

I searched for the forums about this and saw that there has been a few topics discussing how to read a playstation controller but those threads did not have all the information I was looking for... so:

I am looking to be able to read a playstation controller using a PIC (an 877A to be exact).

Before I set forth to write code to emulate a playstation host on an 877A I thought I would ask if anyone has this code already written and would be kind enough to share?

I started looking into writing my own code but I am a little worried about timing issues... maybe someone can shed some light on this?
What I am wondering is if I use a 20mhz crystal on an 877A will it be too fast to use SPI to interface with PSX controller... what I mean is will the SPI clock speed be to fast for the controller to keep up? what do you all think?

Thank you for the help!

Thank you for the replies. The psx document is very help I have been using it. I also looked more into the SPI clock speed and believe I should be alright.

I have another question now. I am trying to interface to different types of microcontrollers through SPI but one thing I have found is that they are at different voltages (3.3v compared to 5v).

If I am trying to receive or send information am i going to have problems since there high signal is not the same? What I am trying to ask is when the 3.3v chip is sending data to the SDI pin of the 5v chip will the 5v chip not register a 3.3v as a high signal?

If I have a problem how do I fix it?

Thank you.

ChemE said:
Thank you for the replies. The psx document is very help I have been using it. I also looked more into the SPI clock speed and believe I should be alright.

I have another question now. I am trying to interface to different types of microcontrollers through SPI but one thing I have found is that they are at different voltages (3.3v compared to 5v).

If I am trying to receive or send information am i going to have problems since there high signal is not the same? What I am trying to ask is when the 3.3v chip is sending data to the SDI pin of the 5v chip will the 5v chip not register a 3.3v as a high signal?

If I have a problem how do I fix it?

Thank you.

More likely than not there will be reliability problems if not outright problems. Use level translator. If you need bidirectional communications over a single line, use a bidirectional one and it is highly preferably one that does automatic direction control rather than a separate direction control pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back