Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading radioteletype RTTY with PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Hello.
If I feed (attenuated) audio from a shortwave receiver to the microphone input of my laptop, can I read RTTY text on screen with the help of some software ?
Will it allow to see/select the tones and modes used ? ----> I run only Ubuntu Linux + Gnome.

Funny enough I played with this recently, I toyed with the idea of using radioteletype as part of a datalogger system, but in the end didnt need it.
Yes you can do just that, software I used for the pc to prototype my hardware was MMTTY, its freeware and very good, you can change just about everything, it supports more than one o/s not sure about linux, you'll have to have a look.
I got a pic micro to generate TTY tones without any external hardware, worked a treat, heres the system working using MMTTY on my PC.

I find it fascinating that more than two people in the world even know what RTTY is! I was a Radio Teletype Operator back in my old days in the Army. I hear that the Army doesn't use RTTY anymore. Anyway, good luck with the projects!

Thanks, doctor.
The MMTTY is for Windows :( as far as I could discern.

Ah well, never mind.
You'll have to keep looking, or build a tty to rs232 interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back