Reading radioteletype RTTY with PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Hello.
If I feed (attenuated) audio from a shortwave receiver to the microphone input of my laptop, can I read RTTY text on screen with the help of some software ?
Will it allow to see/select the tones and modes used ? ----> I run only Ubuntu Linux + Gnome.

Funny enough I played with this recently, I toyed with the idea of using radioteletype as part of a datalogger system, but in the end didnt need it.
Yes you can do just that, software I used for the pc to prototype my hardware was MMTTY, its freeware and very good, you can change just about everything, it supports more than one o/s not sure about linux, you'll have to have a look.
I got a pic micro to generate TTY tones without any external hardware, worked a treat, heres the system working using MMTTY on my PC.

I find it fascinating that more than two people in the world even know what RTTY is! I was a Radio Teletype Operator back in my old days in the Army. I hear that the Army doesn't use RTTY anymore. Anyway, good luck with the projects!

Ah well, never mind.
You'll have to keep looking, or build a tty to rs232 interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…